How I longed for those days again, where life was not so complicated and carefree.

But now, as a university student, the pressure and expectations are seriously weighing me down. All these never-ending assignments and exams are hanging over me like a gloomy cloud.

I quickly glanced at my outfit one more time. I'm dressed in a straight fit white pants paired with a long plain black Kurti that falls below my knee. To complement the attire, I chose some medium-sized silver Jhumkas, and a leather strap watch. And to finish off the look, I slipped on some comfy brown flats.

Satisfied, I left the room and descended the stairs.

"There, you are", my mother's voice greeted me the moment, I reached the final step of the staircase.

The conversation from the previous night rushed back into my mind. Even after returning to my room yesterday, I was not able to quiet down those lingering questions about what the discussion might have been about.

"Maa, is everything alright?" I asked, studying her expression carefully.

"Of course, Niu. What could possibly happen to me?" She smiled reassuringly and proceeded to walk towards the kitchen.

Doubts faded away. I convinced myself that nothing was amiss. Perhaps I was overthinking, letting my imagination run wild. If there was something important, they would surely share it with me in due time. Deciding not to dwell on it further, I let go of my thoughts and followed Maa to the kitchen.

I caught sight of her filling the plate with breakfast, and with a mischievous grin, I swiftly snatched it from her hand. "Thank you, Maa."

"Sit and eat properly before heading out," she demanded, knowing all too well how carelessly I eat when it comes to food.

"Is breakfast ready?" I heard my father's voice, calling out from the hallway.

He was a man steadfast in his beliefs, rooted in outdated and stereotypical thinking, a true patriarch at heart. His primitive views and unwavering demeanor proved to be an unending source of frustration, constantly clashing with my own modern perspective.

Though Maa, too, held outdated beliefs but there was a sense of leniency, a glimmer of understanding in her gaze. But, Papa was unyielding.

After finishing my breakfast, I step out of the house and make my way toward the bus stand. The chill of the morning was biting at my cheeks.

Five minutes later, the bus rumbled to a stop, and I stepped aboard. The seats were worn and uncomfortable, but I had grown used to them over the years. I took my usual spot by the window, watching the city streets pass by as we made our way to my college.

Money was tight, and I couldn't afford the luxury of a car or any other means of transportation.

I wasn't born into wealth, but I was determined to make something of myself, no matter the cost.

I reached for my phone and scrolled through my music library, searching for the perfect melancholy melody to accompany my journey. After a forty-minute journey, I arrive at my university.

In front of me was the vast campus of Scindia University, with its grand buildings and precisely maintained lawns standing out against the busy cityscape beyond its borders. It was known as one of the top universities in the world and it was also well-known for its international recognition.

Growing up, I had always known that the massive tuition fees would be a barrier to my education, and I had resigned myself to the fact that this university would forever remain beyond my grasp.