25

Lola was getting suspicious about Sam. He was never around for her. He was always either working or spending time with Grace.

Lola didn't mind. But she felt like he was avoiding her and aubree. And she didn't know why. She felt like it was all too much.

She knew how she was struggling with looking after her newborn daughter. She loved her. But she found it hard at the same time.

Lola knew how Amelia had been coming over to help her when she could. How she was offering to mind aubree while she did what she had to during the day.

All Lola knew was that it needed to change. And that she needed to talk to Sam. To get him to step up and be there more.

Morning came and she was sitting in bed feeding Aubree. Sam wasn't there again. Lola was used to it now.

Lola looked down to her daughter and sighed. "It's okay sweetie. Mummy is here for you. And she's not going anywhere," she whispered to the little girl.

Aubree blinked and smiled. Lola held her close. Wishing that things were different between her and Sam. But she also knew she couldn't just give up on them.

Knowing they had to try for the sake of their daughter.

Lola put Aubree back into her cot and sighed. She left the bedroom to see Sam sitting on the sofa. "Where the hell were you last night?" She asked.

"I was working."

Lola rolled her eyes and sighed. "You're always working. You're never here for me or Aubree. And I'm sick of it."

Sam looked to her. "You do realise that I have to earn a living. If you want to stay in this flat, then someone has to pay the mortgage," he said.

"Wow. Guilt trip me why don't you? I can always go back and stay with my mum. Or my sister," Lola said.

"Do that then."

***
Lola walked into Amelia's flat. Amelia looked to her. "What's going on?" She asked as she saw her bags.

"Sam and I had a fight. I told him he was never there for me and aubree. He told me he needed to work to pay the mortgage on the flat. I told him I could stay with you or mum and he said do that then," Lola mumbled.

Amelia frowned. "Are you kidding me? He said that?"

Lola nodded. She wiped away her tears and sighed. "I just... I don't know what's going on with us anymore," she mumbled.

***
Lola went into the ED to speak to Sam. Amelia was watching aubree. She saw him in her mum's office. "Until you can step up and be there for me and for Aubree, I'm staying with my sister. You are pushing me away for whatever reason. And I'm not a fan of it," she said.

Sam looked to her. He rolled his eyes. "I think you're being dramatic. I don't know why you think this is acceptable."

"I don't know why you think it's acceptable you're not there for your newborn daughter. She needs you too Sam. Not just me," Lola said.

Sam nodded and sighed. "Then I think we have nothing to say on the matter."

"I guess we don't."

Lola turned and walked off. Unaware of the secret Sam was keeping that was going to change her life.