Chapter 14

Later that evening, a knock came at Aerea's chambers just as she had finished dressing for supper. She opened the door and saw no one, but then her eyes went to the ground where she saw a bouquet of Blue Star flowers along with a note. She knelt down and opened the note, scanning it thoroughly.

"Unlike my brother, I wish to see your fire. Not stomp it out."

There was no name on the note, but she had an idea of who might've sent them. She stood in the hallway confused and even slightly uncomfortable at the gesture.

Little did she know, across the hall Aemond kept an eye on her as she studied the note and flowers. He almost wanted to curse Helaena for suggesting he do something nice for Aerea, but then he saw her settle into a warm smile as she smelled the flowers. It was enough confirmation for him to leave just before an unfriendly face appeared.

"Arry!" Jace called out as he approached her. She quickly hid the flowers behind her back, which he noticed immediately. "What's that?"

"Oh, just...a gift. That's all." She technically wasn't lying, but she knew Jace would do something stupid if he knew who they were from. "From Ser Leo."

"Well don't be shy, let me see." Jace ordered, snatching the flowers from behind her before she could protest. Thankfully the note stayed in her hand away from his grasp. He inspected the flowers and seemed almost disappointed in them. "Blue Stars? No roses?"

Aerea scoffed and snatched her flowers back from him. "I like them, thank you very much."

"Seems a little odd that your betrothed would send you...these." He scrunched his face looking at the small flowers.

"You may send whatever flowers you wish to your betrothed and I won't say a word of them. Now leave mine alone." She rolled her eyes.

"Will you be joining us for supper, sister? Our aunt Helaena has requested that both our families dine together tonight."

"Oh, because the last time that happened it went so well?" She set her flowers in her room then took her brother's arm as they walked down the hall. He laughed at her joke. "Will our grandfather be in attendance?"

"No, I'm afraid he will be dining alone in his chambers tonight."

"Then no, I will not be in attendance. Tell our mother I will be dining with the king instead. I don't want him all alone when his entire family is in this castle." He nodded and wandered down the hall, while she made her way to the king's chambers. Once inside, she sat down beside the sleepy king and smiled. He looked so peaceful in his sleep. It almost made her forget his decaying state.

On the other end of the castle, everyone gathered for supper. The room was ungodly tense after the past few days. Rhaenyra and Alicent were practically holding their breath when their children took their seats. All of them except for one.

"Luke, where is your sister?" Rhaenyra asked, but he just shrugged and sank back into his seat, trying to avoid eye contact with Aemond who sat directly across from him. She turned to her other son with a raised eyebrow. "Jace?"

"She's dining with the king, mother. She said she didn't want him to be alone even when all of us are here." Jace answered before he went back to his conversation with Baela. Aemond smiled to himself over his father having at least some form of comfort, even if it wasn't with his own children or with the Queen. Dameon looked over at the one eyed prince with skeptics eyes, but chose to stay silent.

"Mother, if you'll excuse me..." Aegon started to stand.

"Sit. Down. Aegon." Daemon finally spoke up, turning his attention to his eldest nephew. Aegon froze in fear at the sound of the rogue prince's stern tone. "My brother nor my...stepdaughter need your presence this evening."