✽ Chapter 17 ✽

❁DEAR, SKY ❁

❁DEAR, SKY ❁

Dear, Sky

I've written you about a hundred letters over the years. I know it might not be a lot of them since I left ten years ago, but at least I got to speak and write you even when you didn't write back the first year I was gone or perhaps your mom hid the letters. I don't know. That's beside the point as to why I am writing this letter to you—my daughter.

I was finally released from jail, and I am much better now. I went to counseling and to a specialist to help me with my issues. I can't explain how thrilled I am to be here and free—being able to see my parents again. Most importantly, I am hoping to see you whenever you are ready to, of course. If not, then I will totally understand where you're coming from.

If you are willing to meet each other, I'll be on the lookout for one of your letters or phone call to your grandparents.

I hope you are willing to meet me, Sky.

Sincerely, Michael—your dad. 

Jail.

He was in jail all this time and he had been sending me letters? And I hadn't received any of them. That only meant one single thing—my mom had hidden all of them completely from me. How could she do this to me? She made me believe he left us with no trace or reason, but all this time my dad had tried to get to me and talk to me even when he was locked away in jail.

I bawled up the letter in my hand and cried silently, hoping to get an answer to my unasked questions.

I needed to speak to mom, immediately. I had so many questions to ask. I wanted to read all the other letters he had sent. This letter had answered somethings but not much.

All this time the father I thought was shitty and careless was here all the time trying to console the relationship with his daughter.

I couldn't explain the amount of dread I felt.

He said he fixed his issues. What issues? Was this the reason he left in the first place?

I bawled both hands in front of my face and gripped the tips of my hair in frustration.

"Jesus..."

I heard the front door of my house rattle, and then I heard desperate knocks. I looked up towards the door in confusion, not knowing who it was. My mom had her keys so she wouldn't knock. She never does.

I stood up, taking a deep breath, and went to open the door.

"Hey, what's wrong?" Scott frantically opened the door more and shut it, not once taking his eyes of me.

I turned away in annoyance, not in the mood to speak to anyone. I walked towards the kitchen and sat back down on the kitchen chair I was sitting on before.