✽ Chapter 14 ✽

❁HALLOWEEN PARTIES AND LEATHER JACKETS❁

It was raining out when I woke up the next morning. The best type of weather you could wake up on. Not to mention it was freezing like a bitch, so I placed on slippers and went down, hoping to greet my mom, more properly than what I remember last night.

"Mom?" I called when I reached the bottom of the stairs. Like how I suspected she was on the kitchen counter looking through the mail and sipping her coffee.

When she saw me, she grinned and walked toward me. "Hi, sweetie. How was Oregon?" she looked happy, to say the least, this morning.

"It was awesome. Lola and Gramps were like a breath of fresh air," I recalled their faces and almost laughed at Gramps' horrid jokes.

"I bet! They can be like a mind reliever. It's about time I go visit them too." Mom spoke softly.

"They were asking for you." I plopped down on the countertop and sipped on my mom's coffee.

I was too lazy to make mine.

"I do miss them, but with work and everything it's been hard to fit it into my schedule. You know that."

"Don't you think it's about time you took a break of your own, mom? It's sort of always taking over your house time or free time. You even sometimes work on Saturdays," I said, and she gave me a thoughtful look before nodding.

"Probably your right, Sky. I'll have to see and figure things out before having a break. You know I love moving and being productive."

"You could still be productive at home or out of work, you know." I raised a suggestive eyebrow and she laughed, hitting my arm on the way.

"You really have a way with words, don't you?" Mom grabbed the now-empty coffee mug and began to wash my dish.

"There is this Halloween party tonight. You could come, and take my place," I said, and she made a face as if it was the most ridiculous thing I could suggest.

"Yeah, no way. A party full of teenagers does not sound fun to me."

I scrunched my face in protest. Maybe that only sounded like a good idea in my head.

"I really don't feel like going to this party." I groaned, grabbing a match to light up the candle on the dining table.

"How come?" Mom turned to glance at me over her shoulder.

I shrugged. "Just..."

I heard the faucet turn off and then my mom's footsteps. I looked up to see what she was doing, and she stood against the counter, arms crossed, looking at me suspiciously.

"What?"

"You think I haven't noticed?" I could almost hear my heart beating out of my chest when she spoke.