Chapter 8: The one who woke up

It's time to prepare for the operation. I prepare Khun Sam's clothes for staying over at the hospital. It's a frightening time, but I have to act as if everything is normal because I don't want to scare the sweet- faced lady. The night I saw her crying alone, it told me that though she puts up a strong front, she is not that strong inside. So, even though she seems unbothered, if I am scared, it may dampen her spirit.

"There's no need to prepare this much clothes. I will have to wear the hospital gown after the surgery anyway."

"Khun Sam makes a good point." I nod and change to pack my own clothes. "Mon will bring only my clothes then. And only one for Khun Sam to wear when you get discharged."

"I won't be discharged that quickly. Will have to recuperate for a few days."

"Then I have to bring a lot of clothes for myself to stay at the hospital with Khun Sam."

"No need to stay overnight at the hospital with me. Come sleep at home; it's much more comfortable."

"I'm lonely without you lying next to me. Also, aren't Khun Sam afraid of ghost? There are a lot of death cases at the hospital."

"..."

"Maybe a few died on your bed."

"I'll scratch your face. What are you saying?"

"huhu. I'm trying to scare you so you will let me spend the night with you."

"Whatever."

After a ghost story, the person who didn't want me to be uncomfortable spending the night with her at the hospital changes her mind quickly. As I was packing, a warm hug spread through my back. The sweet-faced lady snuggles and sniffs the smell of my body from my neck, like she wants to engrave the smell on her memory.

"Your smell comforts me. Thank you for being by my side as I go through this."

"If I'm not by your side now, when will I be? If Mon is not well, Khun Sam would go be with me at the hospital too."

"It's best that nothing happens to you. Let it happen to me."

"It's best if nothing happens to both of us. But as it already did, we will get through it together."

"After the surgery, do as you promise."

"What promise?"

"That we'd get married."

I turn around to hug her, full of appreciation. She never forgets about this and seems to want to get married more than I do.

"Kha. Whatever Khun Sam wants."

"I should have gotten sick a long time
ago."

I hit her once and returned to packing. Khun Sam watched me do this and that, lay down on the bed, and doze off. At first, I was going to wake her up so she could sleep properly because she hadn't put a blanket on her. But when I see her sleeping like a baby, I decide to let her continue to sleep comfortably.

She has a lot ahead of her tomorrow.

After arriving at the hospital, Khun Sam immediately changes into the hospital gown. Her spirit is high today because all her friends, as well as Khun Nueng and Khun Kirk, came to support her. Khun Sam sweeps her eyes across everyone with a straight face (as usual) and says when her friends start to get annoyingly loud;

"Why such a big crowd?"

"We came to support you." P Kate, who's in the middle of a juicy conversation with P Jim, replies without paying attention to the patient. It's like she comes to have fun more than to visit Khun Sam.