Chapter 9: Flashback

I'm standing in front of the ICU with Khun Nueng and P Tee's couple, biting my nails. All that came back from visiting Khun Sam, two at a time, said the same thing...

"E Sam remembers everyone but Mon.... why?"

P Tee looks worried while I now bite my lips until they bruise. I don't know what's happening, but I feel empty inside. Khun Nueng dashes in to consult the doctor who happens to walk this way, but even the doctor is at a loss because the operation went well.

"Maybe this is the effect of the anesthesia. After she recovers from it, her memories will gradually return."

The doctor gave a vague answer, but I'm still worried. P Jim walks over to give me a gentle pat on the back as encouragement when she sees that I'm about to cry. I've been very sensitive all day today, since Khun Sam went into the operating room, came back out after the operation was done, regained her consciousness, and remembered everyone.

Everyone but me....

"Trust the doctor. Mon should go back home to rest and come back after E Moi is in better condition. She will remember you by then."

"Yes. You staying here won't help with anything. You can't stay with her in the ICU anyway. She needs to be under the intensive care of the nurses." P Kate agrees. I could feel my voice trembling with emotion when I replied. I am the one closest to Khun Sam but I'm the only one she can't remember. Something must be wrong.

"I won't be able to sleep if I go back anyway. I'm worried about Khun Sam."

"The doctor said she's not in any danger. How about this, if it's too lonely to be alone, we'll all go sleepover at your place." P Tee suggests, while P Jim nods happily in agreement.

"Good idea. A sleepover would be fun. Let's come back to visit her tomorrow. By then, she will remember Mon. Let's make her house a mess so she makes a big fuss when she goes back. She's so protective of her house, wahaha."

"I can't sleepover. I have an early morning magazine tomorrow." P Kate interrupts regretfully with a long face. But P Jim rolls her eyes like &, looking annoyed.

"Why can't you sleep over? Is the shoot in Japan? As long as it is in Bangkok, you can drive there tomorrow. Don't you want to make a mess of E Moi's house? Can you really stand the urge?"

"I can't! Ok, I'll sleepover. So what if it's a long drive? I will go trash her place, wahaha."

"Wahaha"

"What's with you two? Your friend is lying in bed recovering from surgery, and you still want to mess with her." P Tee shakes her head, then giggles. "I will ransack her closet, wahaha."

"Wahaha"

Phi Phi (Khun Sam's friends) laughed merrily so loudly that the nurse had to warn them not to disturb others. I can't help but laugh at their mischievous plan to shock Khun Sam by trashing her place. When Yuki sees that I feel a bit better, she comforts me by walking over to put her arm around mine and pat me on my shoulder.

"Don't worry. Khun Sam is already awake. If she doesn't remember you today, she will tomorrow. Give her some time. The doctor said the operation went smoothly. Trust that Khun Sam loves Mon and will never change."

"Yeah. Mon is probably just too worried."

"And it's not only Mon that Khun Sam can't remember. Khun Sam said she doesn't know Yuki either."

Hearing that I feel better.... slightly. Probably because I no longer feel alone in this. I'm not the only one that Khun Sam can't remember. It's probably the effect of the anesthesia or she hasn't fully recovered.