9.1 - By the Candlelight (Naomi)

Start from the beginning

"He left work early to cook this supper. That happens with the frequency of a total solar eclipse."

"Damn, now I feel like a dick for not wearing a dress."

Marc chuckled. "A man will never complain about form-fitting pants on his date."

Naomi left her sneakers on the rug. "Is that what Nimkii is wearing tonight?" she teased, even though Marc's date with his girlfriend was running a drop-in program for inner-city children together.

"Nah, she's all about her new ribbon skirt. Likes the kids' excitement over the bright colours and the story about her grandmother. It's sweet."

That smile and the confidence he'd gained from that relationship gave Naomi hope. Marc described it once as a sturdy oak tree. The deeper the roots grew, the more grounded he was in his identity, including the Métis side.

"There's a surprise waiting for you in the dining room." Marc led her inside toward a candlelit table. "He should be out soon. Have fun." Marc headed back upstairs.

Did Greg already own candles, or had he gotten them for tonight? They were an unnecessary expense he wouldn't allow in his budget, and Naomi doubted he would need the glittering red ones during a power outage. He must have gotten them just for her. Her stomach danced with excitement.

The scent of garlic and thyme filled the air, along with chicken and cream. Whatever it was, she was practically drooling as she waited for him to emerge. She lost the battle with her polite patience and tiptoed into the kitchen to find him sprinkling cheese over a tray of baked asparagus.

She wrapped her arms around his middle and leaned into his back.

"You smell too good to be Marc. But you've ruined the surprise." He put the tray back in the oven and shed the oven mitt.

"I thought I was the best surprise," she teased boldly.

He spun around and held her by the waist, tugging her toward him. "You are."

After leaning down a few inches, he kissed her gently on the lips. Today, their movements all seemed in sync, and every second was bliss. Naomi beamed at him as they pulled apart.

"I can't believe you did this all for me."

"You're amazing and deserve the best."

Naomi pulled him into another hug and kissed him again. Part of her worried she was flying too close to the sun and bound to plummet any second. If Greg shared that fear, he hid all unease from his body language. Her physical discomfort was on holiday too.

"What would you like to drink?" Greg asked.

"What are my options? Cold water, hot water or ice water?" she teased.

"Sauvignon Blanc, a Caesar, or sparkling water." His eyes never left her.

She did a toe lift in excitement. "Ooh fancy, I'll start with a Caesar, please."

Greg turned toward the fridge with a smile. "I suspected you'd say that."

He pulled out bottles of Clamato juice, Worcester sauce, a lime and a slice of fried bacon to place alongside a bottle of vodka. An advantage of dating a longtime friend was him knowing what quirks she liked with her drinks. The salty bacon stir stick was her favourite.

"How long have you been cooking?"

"Longer than I should admit." He cut the lime into quarters then wet the rim of two glasses to coat them in with celery salt. "I had a failed trial run but am hoping this turns out better. Got a little expert advice to fix my mistakes."