chapter 30

Chapter 30 : A Playful Spar≿ · ┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈ · ≾

≿ · ┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈ · ≾

"You all have done me very proud. Not only did you complete your mission, but everyone is healthy and well," Wonchul announced to the lined warriors, fanning himself as he drifted back and forth. "That doesn't mean I won't be strict anymore, however. Let me remind you–you will be attending the queen's birthday celebration at her castle very soon."

Wonchul snapped his fan closed, and his footsteps slowed to a stop. "Remember, at this celebration, you will demonstrate a few of your powers as a performance," Wonchul described further. "The showcase is supposed to bring confidence to our kingdom, assuring them that you, our Eight Warriors, are masters. Not only is it for the people, but for our beloved queen. You need to begin brainstorming ideas for your parts until her majesty's birthday arrives."

Wonchul snapped his fan closed, and his footsteps slowed to a stop. "Alright, now choose your partners for today's drills," Wonchul ordered. "I want you all to start a few rounds with your powers. After that, we'll get some more training going."

The boys began choosing their partners while Suyin stood alone, waiting for a remaining person since there was always one left for her. Her hands rested on her hips as she stared off into the walls. An elbow nudged her. Suyin flicked her head to her front, blinking confusedly.

"Let's go," Jungwon said, nodding his head to a spot.

Suyin glanced around the area, regarding how a few others were still discussing partners. "Huh?"

"What? Did you lose your hearing overnight?" Jungwon quipped, and he sauntered off.

Suyin blinked her eyes. "Wait– why?"

"Why what?"

"Why are you choosing me? You usually go with Jake or Sunghoon."

Jungwon arrived back at Suyin's front–face to face. His dull black eyes dared to move first, exploring Suyin's expression. "I'm curious," Jungwon mumbled, narrowing his stare. "I want to see what you can do to me."

Suyin cleared her throat out loud, shoving the boy out of her face. She strode past Jungwon, knocking her shoulder against his. She folded her arms and tightened her lips. "Well? Come on, lambchop," Suyin called.

Jungwon's eyebrow arched, and he scoffed. "Lambchop? That's new."

"Yes, Yang." Suyin rolled her eyes, making sure he saw. She bit her rising smile as Jungwon glared.

"What happened to 'Won'?"

"I don't know, Won."

"You make me want to punch you."

"Please, don't hold back this time." Suyin's smile cracked into light while facing away.

"I don't intend to."