chapter 09

Chapter 09 : Quiet Midnight Training≿ · ┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈ · ≾

≿ · ┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈ · ≾

"Good, now fist," Wonchul instructed, gently fanning himself while observing the Shadow Wielder.

Suyin exhaled while leisurely crushing her hand into a fist. Shadows slithered across the indoor training room floors, some brushing against Wonchul's grey silk robes. A black pool sprouted from the center, building up into a small tower.

"Loosen your fist, child. You're too tense," Wonchul commented.

Suyin eased her fist, but an alarm screamed inside her head as the shadows crumbled from their structure. She immediately tightened her fist again. The shadows rose like a deathly wave, and they crashed into the ceiling.

"No!" Wonchul shouted.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to crack the ceiling!" Suyin squeaked. A frown dragged her lips towards the ground, sensing a genuine frustration from the old man.

Wonchul shook his head back and forth. "It isn't the fact that you cracked the ceiling, child. It's the fact that you lost grip of your power," Wonchul tsked, "Losing control will have its consequences. You need to feel their movement–command them. Don't let them seize your control."

Suyin bit on her tongue, averting her eyes from her master. But her curious mind glanced back once Wonchul sauntered off.

"We'll finish this later. Go cleanse yourself, child," Wonchul ordered, flicking his arm towards the exit. "You'll want to prepare yourself for tomorrow."

"Why?" Suyin asked.

"For more practice. You need a lot more of it before practicing with the others," Wonchul said, "we need to start inserting powers into team practice soon."

≿━━━━༺◎༻━━━━≾

Control, Suyin thought.

She had no control over her powers, considering how she had only used them a few times in her life. She had little knowledge of her powers as well. How were the others going to react once they started using their powers together? Was she going to be too nervous to conjure up anything? Was she going to lose control?

Staring into her reflection wasn't going to give her all the answers. Her face fell, crestfallen. She adjusted the towel that wrapped her body, strolling over to the bathtub. Not even the calming crickets and peaceful mini gusts of wind could ease her buzzing mind.

When she was about to undo her towel, the doors flew open. Suyin shot her head towards the open doors, clenching her towel. She screamed. And the boy screamed as well.

With that, the doors slammed shut in an instant. A flustered blush flared up in Suyin's face, and she furrowed her eyebrows. "WHAT THE HELL!" She cursed.