chapter 02

Chapter 02 : Beginning of Trials≿ · ┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈ · ≾

≿ · ┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈ · ≾

Miyoung and her mother eventually arrived back at their spots in line. Suyin introduced the boy, Zhong Chenle, and she explained his situation to them. Miyoung's mother immediately comforted the boy and assured him that they'd find his mother.

Soon enough, drums began to play in the air. The crowds of nobles and villagers cheered along, throwing their hands into the air as the high doors flew open. People traveled one by one, exploring the stadium while claiming seats.

Miyoung, who had little Chenle's hand in hers, arrived at the entrance with wide eyes. As if melodies flowed through their ears, they viewed the stadium's epic glory. Numerous seats fell in order, enclosing the heart of the Sky Arena. The roofless top invited sunlight, displaying everything in its full glory. People have already taken over most of the seats, leaving Suyin and the rest to sit at the top. However, the top row had the best seats in the house.

Suyin flinched as Miyoung suddenly patted her arm non-stop, pointing to the Sky Arena's end. A gasp escaped Suyin's lips as she viewed an ethereal woman dressed in white, sitting at the center of a set of thrones. A golden crown adorned her pale blue hair, labeling her as Queen Taeyeon of Lucinda–a descendant of Queen Lucinda. Suyin felt a tug on her gown, and she glanced down to see little Chenle pulling at her.

"Can you lift me up? I can't see," Chenle frowned.

Suyin did so, slipping her hands under his arms. She lifted the boy onto her shoulders for him to see the gorgeous queen.

The chorusing cheers withered away as the beautiful woman in white stood from the thrones. She levitated forward, and her dress flowed elegantly in the air. Meeting the front of their small stage, she spread her arms outwards. "Welcome to our kingdom's 10th Warrior Trials!" Queen Taeyeon announced through a magical item–allowing to strengthen the volume of her voice. "Today is a day that happens only every one hundred years. We have collected numerous potential male nobles and knights who have trained for this very day."

The queen received applause and high-pitched cheers. She nodded once. "The last former warrior sits here, and the royal council is surveying with us as well," Taeyeon informed, and she gestured to her left. "The Eight Swords are displayed on our left. When a noble is chosen by a sword, the noble's skin will glow like an angel–as well as the sword. Once the chosen noble collects their weapon, the sword's basic form will transform into a personalized weapon for aid depending on the warrior's magical abilities. With that, the Eight Warriors will spend their time dedicating themselves to training and protecting our kingdom."

With the clap of the queen's hands, she grinned. "May the trials begin!" She earned cheers once more. "Our first demonstration will be shown by Choi Yeonjun!"

The first demonstrations were astonishing. From glass forming into reality to smoke casting into clear air, Suyin regarded every movement even from a far distance. Although the first men weren't chosen, Suyin was engaged with every skilled act.

"Our next noble is Lee Heeseung from Weilou Island!" Queen Taeyeon announced, gesturing to the next boy.

The tall dark brunette walked to the heart of the arena, and he stood still with his eyes closed to touch focus. After a few calming seconds, Heeseung's arms elegantly moved along with his legs for his first position. His movement carried specks of the floor's dirt, adding a visual effect. His slow movement gained speed as he leaned back. With a sudden swerve, his foot spiked upwards. A blast resounded throughout the arena, sending a wind to spread across the audience's skins. He hopped off the ground and spun–air followed with the control of his hands.

Suyin watched closely, silently claiming this demonstration as one of her favorites by far. She noticed a slight glow to Heeseung's power–which was aerokinesis. His artistic and graceful motions were unmatched by the first ones who demonstrated.

Heeseung levitated off the ground once more, adding one last spin with his extended hand. As his feet met the ground, he finished off with another blast of wind that escaped from his hands. The flowing winds caressed everyone's cheeks once again. With heavy breaths, Heeseung's eyebrows knitted together. It seemed that he hadn't realized how the crowd's cheering grew until he flicked his head up, viewing a glowing sword from a distance. His eyes expanded, glancing down at himself to see his skin lighting up. A delighted breath of air huffed out, and Heeseung bowed to the nobles and audience.

Shining proudly, the weapon levitated into the air as soon as it was touched by Heeseung's hand. The light compelled Heeseung's eyes to close. As soon as the golden light vanished, a pair of white fans floated in the air. The crowds screamed for his achievement, testing the tears he tried to hold back.

Glad that one of her favorite demonstrations was chosen, Suyin cheered along.

Once Heeseung settled in one of the eight seats for the Eight Warriors, the next demonstrations went on. A few were rejected by the Eight Swords, however, another sword collected a powerful pyro user named Jay Park. His natural bright red hair caught everyone's eyes, but his ambitious fire demonstration completely sold it, earning a flail as his personalized weapon. Demonstrations carried on until an electro user stunned everyone. The young fighter named Nishimura Niki, who summoned a short storm for his demonstration, collected a whip for his personalized weapon.

Eventually, three swords adopted their warriors. Kim Sunoo–an enthusiastic pink-haired plant manipulator–received a pair of gloves and boots, Jake Sim–a skilled blonde hydro user–received a bow and arrow, and Park Sunghoon–a professional cryo user–received a spiked shield. The six new-found warriors were situated in their seats altogether.

The Warrior Trials were inching closer to the end, for there were only two swords left to claim their warriors. Queen Taeyeon rose up to her feet, and she gestured towards the contestants.

"The next demonstration will be presented by Yang Jungwon!" Queen Taeyeon declared.