chapter 10

Chapter 10 : A Quest For Teamwork
≿ · ┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈ · ≾

"Gentle," Wonchul reminded her.

Suyin's eyes remained closed, and she inhaled slowly, clinging to her calm state. She felt the shadow's connection beneath her fingers–a tingling fondle even when it wasn't touching her.

"Rise," Wonchul instructed.

Suyin finally lifted her eyelids, viewing the stirring pool of shadows. She clenched her fist, leading the shadows upward. The black smoke-like pool rose at her command, and every inch of it floated up into the air.

Seeing the orb of floating shadows, Wonchul hummed in satisfaction. "Release," Wonchul ordered.

Suyin did as told, flicking her fingers out of their hold. The shadows escaped from the orb, blasting onto the white walls. The contact left a temporary black stain that faded after ten seconds.

A slight curl snuck onto Wonchul's upper lip. "Good. Your control is improving," Wonchul commented, spreading his fan open. "I say you're ready to work with the boys."

"Huh!?" Suyin shot open her eyes, and she dropped her arm, spinning towards the old man. "When??"

"Tomorrow," Wonchul responded lightly, walking towards her.

"But– but I– I'm not ready for that yet, Master Wonchul!" Suyin panicked. A black aura swarmed Suyin. Her shoulders began to tremble, and a slight glow visited her eyes. "I'll mess up! They'll all see that I'm just–"

Wonchul closed his fan with a flick, and he tapped her head. "You need to step out of your comfort zone, child. Practicing with the other experienced fighters will be beneficial to your learning. For example...learning how to control your powers," Wonchul explained. "You have the strength. All you need to do is have some faith in yourself."

≿━━━━༺◎༻━━━━≾

The next day came along quicker than Suyin had thought, unfortunately. Standing in a straight line with the others, she couldn't help but fiddle with her black robe's sleeves. Deep breaths, Suyin. Deep breaths.

"You all have connected with your inner-selves, recognizing your own strengths and weaknesses these past weeks," Wonchul announced to the line of warriors in training.

"So is it finally time to use our cool weapons!?" Niki burst.

"No," Wonchul deadpanned. Niki hung his head low while Wonchul continued sauntering around the training grounds. "Tell me–why were the original Warriors gathered as a group? Why were the Eight Swords crafted in the first place?"

"To find eight worthy warriors who would protect our kingdom," Jay answered first.

"But why? What made them so powerful compared to every other single warrior? Why did Seong Daehyun execute his plan of creating his group?" Wonchul asked, fanning himself.

"The fact that they were a loyal and strong team is what made them invincible," Jungwon said, earning glances.

"Correct, child." Wonchul nodded to Jungwon. "By that, I have a special quest for you all. Instead of practicing kicks and punches on each other, you will be working together. Every ten years, this palace glows gold at the beginning of sunset. That golden glow will display a renewed shield of protection that will last for the next ten years. The source of protection–the Warrior's Stone–is located at the heart of our floating island. However, we cannot have that magical protection without offering a few materials. It requires a hair strand of a wild qilin from the Eastern mountains, a snapdragon flower from the Harmonic Fields, a phoenix feather, and a cup of healing water from the Jade Caves."