𝙈𝙖𝙩𝙞𝙡𝙙𝙖

slight TW

Song chapter

Song: Matilda by Harry Styles

You were riding your bike to the sound of "It's No Big Deal"

And you're trying to lift off the ground on those old two wheels

A young Laurie rode her bike down the gray sidewalk, leaving behind the noise of her mother and stepfather's arguing behind as she hummed to the sound traveling through her headphones from her vintage walk-man her mom had given her as an apology gift for another restless night from the arguing for the young girl. 

Nothing about the way that you were treated ever seemed especially alarming 'til now

"Why didn't you tell me living with him was getting that bad?" Troy asked, his eyes filled with tears as an older teenage Laurie sat in front of him, looking down at her worn shoes. 

So you tie up your hair and you smile like it's no big deal

"Because I could handle it myself."  Laurie said with a forced small sad smile. Troy shook his head sadly, feeling a few tears slip.

Another time, Laurie put on a smile, trying her hair into a ponytail, getting ready for the soccer game. 
"I'm fine, really." She lied through a smile to her teammate. 

Lauren Davis didn't have a father figure. Her dad had left early on, so for years she told her self she could do it all on her own.

You can let it go

Laurie felt the tight overwhelming feeling of pain in her chest slowly deflate, leaving her. Troy finally had custody of her. She was safe. Troy pulled the girl into a hug which she immediately returned, hugging back tightly. 

You can throw a party full of everyone you know

Laurie laughed joyfully, splashing Connor Payton back as she and the Warrior's football team all celebrated a win in the cool blue of a swimming pool. Connor swam forward, grabbing the girl who shrieked with laughter, he dunked her under the cool blue water, laughing. She resurfaced wrapping her arms around him as he lifted her up, planting a small kiss to her lips. The rest of the team laughed, and ew'd as they teased the couple.

And not invite your family, 'cause they never showed you love

Laurie looked around at the field lit up by the stadium lights and her friends, the Warrior's all say on the green grass chatting. She realized these were the people she belonged with. They were more family than anyone. Her friends, no, her family.