Chapter 20.

Friday, 26th of November, 2021.

Kimberly held her sniper rifle up, staring through the night vision scope. She looked for the targets, trying to focus with the wind blowing in her face.

She remembered König's lessons from yesterday, feeling the weight of the weapon in her hands. She adjusted her grip, finding one of the targets. She kept her breath steady as she aimed on it, following it with the same speed as the helicopter.

Kimberly settled for her aim and pulled the trigger, hitting the first target perfectly. She smiled for herself, searching for the second target. She managed to find it quickly, this one being easy to see. She aimed in once again, pulling the trigger. She hit the target perfectly once more.

The girl felt proud of herself, but also grateful to König. He had shown her every aspect of the weapon, told her all about the weight and control one needed. About her grip and stance. He had taught her more in one day than she had learned since enlisting. If there was anyone who knew what they were doing with firearms, it was that man.

Kimberly searched for the third target, but König must have placed it in a rather difficult position. Once she laid eyes on it, she noticed that it was much further away, not visible all the time thanks to the trees. She raised the rifle and aimed at where she had seen it, keeping it steady.

She just waited for an opening, and once it came - she fired. The bullet hit the target perfectly once again, and she let the rifle fall against her side. Kimberly laughed for herself as she shut the door, hanging the sniper rifle on a hanger. She entered the cockpit, settling down beside König.

-"You are the best teacher I've ever had. Thank you for teaching me," Kimberly said, having memorised every word he had spoken yesterday.
-"You should thank yourself. You actually listened to what I said and wanted to learn. Let's get back to your base and finish the last tests," König said, changing their course. He made way towards the base, feeling proud of himself.

-"No, you deserve all the credit. You're the best teacher and instructor I've ever had, and that says a lot. I can't wait to have a good nights sleep in my bed tonight," Kimberly said, keeping her eyes on the landscape ahead.
-"Oh, uhm, danke," König said with a nervous little laugh. He wasn't used with recognition or respect, but this girl seemed to be full of it. He glanced over at her meanwhile she stared out of the windshield.

He could see a difference in the girl from when he picked her up on Monday and now. It felt like a different girl, but König figured it had something with the success to do. She had also gotten a break from her ex-husband. He didn't know what terms they lived on, but he figured they were really bad thanks to her comment earlier.

They remained silent during the remaining trip, neither feeling the need to talk. Kimberly was just exited to get back to Price, Johnny and Simon. She wanted to tell them about her run and the bear. Tell them about how she was ready for the mission. That her aim had become perfected. She just wanted to brag for a moment, showing them that she could do this. She wanted to show that she had succeeded.

She was also excited to be working beside König on their next mission, him being a nice guy and a good teacher. Maybe she learned even more.

Time passed quickly for Kimberly as they made way for the base, and in no time they arrived. König spoke with the people in the tower, getting clearance to land the Black Hawk in lot two. He did so, and before he had shut the engine off, Kimberly was out of the chopper, the bag and rifle hanging on her side. She had laid eyes on Price's bucket hat, and she knew he was waiting for her.

She laid eyes on Price and Simon outside the main doors, and the girl didn't care about the enlisted personnel and trainees, pushing past in between them all. As she made her way up to Price she let her backpack fall, same with her sniper rifle. She grinned as he held his arms out, bracing himself for the hug. She also extended her arms, giving Price a tight hug. He laid his arms around the girl, chuckling for himself.