Chapter 2.

<< There was silence outside her fathers house. She sat huddled up in a corner, her knees brought up to her chin. The wind was cold, gnawing its way through her clothes. It was a winter storm, meaning that the 10 year old girl couldn't see anything in front of her.

She held her breath steady, aware that her father would let her back in soon. She had after all been sitting there for almost an hour, getting the so-called punishment for having spoken about enlisting herself when she came of age.
Her father had never been supportive of her dreams, but he didn't want her to get hurt the way he had. But he knew the girl was a lost cause by now. His only regret was allowing her to meet Price - her big idol.

The door to the backyard was unlocked and opened. Kimberly looked over at her father who peeked his head out, staring at the girl. She sat there patiently.
-"You wanna stay outside all night? Come on!" The girl scooted herself up and ran towards the door, pushing past her father and into the house. She hugged herself tightly, feeling chilly all the way into her bones. "Do you still want to join the Army? You'll have plenty of nights like those over there."

-"You need to stop doing this to me, father. No matter how much beating and teaching you're giving me, I won't be convinced. I am joining the army, and I will become Captain. Just like you and future Price," Kimberly said, tightening her fists. She could see her father's mood take a turn for the worse.

-"What did I tell you about talking back to me? You little bitch!"
Kimberly stood her ground as her father charged at her, but she flinched as he raised his arm. The punch against her head felt extra painful now that her body was freezing, but she refused to fall.

The young girl moved her sight up to her father, holding her composure - just like a soldier would. Her father shook his head.
-"The only thing you will accomplish in the military as a female, is getting others killed and being killed yourself! You're not joining, and that's final. You'll never become me or Price - NEVER!"

Kimberly felt tears fill her eyes, blurring her sight. She inhaled deeply, answering her father in a way she knew she shouldn't.
-"At least when I join the Army, I'll be able to finish the job, whether it will cost me my life or not! I will be better than you in all ways, and Price will teach me. The bombs should have killed you."

Bruce's face turned bright red. It wasn't difficult to see that her words had pissed him off. It didn't shock her the least.
-"You ungrateful little whore!" A second blow flew right at her, almost making her loose her balance, but she didn't cower. She stood her ground, but when the third blow came, she didn't stand a chance.

The young girl collapsed on the floor, holding her burning chin. Her tears fell, her breath stuck in her chest.
-"You are a monster. The bomb should have killed you!" Kimberly cried again, aware that she overstepped the line once more. Bruce growled and charged at her, grabbing tightly around Kimberly's throat. The girl tried to cry out and scream, but she couldn't get air in nor out of her throat given his tight grip. She threw her fist down at his hand as she tried to get loose, but it didn't help.

Bruce dragged the girl with him to the backdoor, opening it with his free hand. He tossed the girl out, staring at her as she laid on the snowy balcony, coughing and heaving for air. She turned her head to look at him, and this was the first time Kimberly's stare scared him.

-"Y-You'll stay out there tonight. I don't accept your behaviour!" Bruce shut the door, locking it. He let out a shaky breath, shaking his head. He didn't want to lock his daughter outside, but he had no idea how to make her learn otherwise. "The ungrateful little shit won't listen to me. I can't have her run off to be in the military. I need to keep her safe. Stupid child!" >>