Carbon

(Y/n) looked from Kohaku, to Senku, back to Kohaku, and then back to Senku. "Did I hear that right?"

"I think so?" Senku looked over at her.

"Him?" (Y/n) looked over at Kohaku with her thumb pointing at Senku. "Him of all people? I'm right here you know."

"Hey!" Senku yelled at her, feeling insulted. That was exactly what (Y/n) wanted. Before he could be insulted even more, Senku turned his attention to Kohaku, who was tying her hair up again. "I can't say that I can give one millimeter of support for what I just heard. We've just met, and you're already professing your love? Not how to handle an emergency. As much as I'd hate to say it, I'd have a better chance of a healthy relationship with this idiotic doctor."

"I can't tell if I should be insulted or honored." (Y/n) crossed her arms.

"I didn't mean anything about falling in love!" Kohaku pointed an accusing finger at Senku, who shrunk away from her. "I'm saying I like you as a person and I think the three of us can work together!"

"Oh." Now Senku felt stupid. "Well, thanks. I appreciate that. 'Cause nothing's as illogical or prone to trouble as a romantic entanglement."

"You are so dying alone." (Y/n) rolled her eyes.

Night had fallen, and the group decided to sleep. Kohaku rested against a tree with her knives in her hands with Senku and (Y/n) wrapped up in their sleeping bags. (Y/n) started a fire earlier to keep them all warm throughout the night. Kohaku stayed on one side of the fire while (Y/n) and Senku stayed on the other side, with (Y/n) closest to the tree and facing Senku as she tried to sleep while Senku also faced her since he didn't want to face the fire. The light will keep him awake.

"Hm?" Senku looked over his shoulder to Kohaku. He turned his whole body around to face her. "What are you, a new species of hominid that sleeps with a weapon or something?"

"Makes it obvious I don't have love on the brain," Kohaku was pulled out of her half-sleeping state. She looked over at him, unamused. "Look, I may be curious about your ways, but I'm not sure how much I can trust you yet. Besides, it's a force of habit, because I watch out for myself, so don't take it personally."

"I'm not enough of a hero to attack a lioness like you, so quit wasting time and get some rest." Senku turned back over to face his friend.

"'Lionese'?" Kohaku looked at him. "I am a person! With feelings! You might've seemed like a gentleman at first, but you're actually kinda rude, you know that? I'm afraid I might accidentally end up killing you."

"And that was your first mistake," (Y/n) kept her eyes closed. "By the way, in a pride of lions, the female lions are the ones who take care of the hunting. The males protect the territory. If anything, being called a lioness is a compliment."

"Go to sleep (Y/n)," Senku closed his eyes. "And you, lioness. If you just go to sleep, there won't be any accidents. I'm not too keen on the idea of dying twice in one day."

There was a moment of silence before Kohaku decided to speak.

"You're fighting against that long-haired man, aren't you?" The blonde asked them. "I'll help you with that."

Senku opened his eyes and looked over to Kohaku.

"I'm not the type to just run away with my tail between my legs." She looked down towards the ground, remembering the encounter she had with Tsukasa earlier.