19 - Under the Rain

Hello dear readers, I hope you've been well :)
I'm surprised to see that some of you still read this crap.
Apologies for the delay. Please enjoy this chapter!

Marinette's POV

Following my argument with Chloe and Adrien, I decided to go upstairs on the balcony and take some fresh air. I could still hear the faint sounds coming from the music downstairs. My mind was slightly hectic from the whiskey, and my heart raced as I thought of Emma. My baby would have been around 6 years old today. I can't help but think about what could have been if only she had survived.

Emma's absence created a hole in my heart in a way that I never thought could be possible. Sometimes, I wonder if there is any way that I could get back this piece of me. I don't think so, unfortunately. I used to cry a lot, and now, all I feel is emptiness when I think about Emma. Maybe it's a sign of healing.

I looked at the Parisian skyline. The stars were shining brightly, the sky was dark, and the warm summer breeze felt amazing on my skin. My dress, on the other hand, was way too tight around the waist.

I heard footsteps coming towards me. I could recognize the sound of that walk and the sound of those leather shoes clicking on the marble floor from a mile away – it was Adrien. I leaned on the balcony railing and continued to watch the sky.

"What are you doing here alone?" I heard him say. I slightly rolled my eyes and feigned nonchalance.

"Nothing. I'm about to leave this party, just needed some fresh air."

"Anything on your mind?" He asked. I was still not facing him. I didn't have the energy to.

"Yes, I was thinking about our dead daughter whose existence you don't know and don't even care about"

I sighed and turned around to face him. Neat suit, leather shoes (bingo), disheveled blonde hair and a glass of whiskey at hand. The green eyes, however, is what took my breath away. It was only the two of us, in a darkened room, a few meters away from a party. This seemed way too familiar.

He smirked. "Am I making you nervous or something?"

"No, jackass. You're making me sick. I'm leaving." I said calmly.

And with that, I walked past him and went back downstairs, leaving him alone with his thoughts and regrets.

My high heels were killing me. I couldn't wait to go to the hotel and take them off. But first, I had to find Felix.

I looked through the crowd, but with everyone wearing a mask, it was nearly impossible to recognize anyone. I decided to text him and let him know that I was going back to the hotel. After all, he's probably out there networking, meeting new people and trying to plant the seeds to make himself a legitimate prince.

I made my way to the exit, and realized that it started raining. Great. Now I'm gonna replay the umbrella scene in my head; just like every time it rains. Let's just wait until it stops, because I don't feel like calling a driver when the hotel is a 10 mins walk.

Adrien's POV

It's raining outside, and I see that Marinette is trying to get back home. Knowing her, she probably hates calling drivers when she can go back to her place within a 15 mins walk.

This scenery felt all too familiar. I see her waiting for the rain to stop, in a beautiful dress, her hair flowing perfectly on her shoulders. This feels exactly like 6 years ago, when she signed her first fashion contract. It was raining that evening, and I gave her my umbrella, because I didn't want her to catch a cold outside... This feels exactly like forever ago.

I recall her telling me that this is when she fell in love with me; the simple gesture of me getting wet by the rain so that she wouldn't. Marinette was never a complicated person. All she ever wanted was to be treasured and loved...

... Flashback

Now, only the pale moonlight reflected our lust-filled bodies and the sounds of pouring rain filled the silence between us. 

"You know I fell in love with you on a rainy day?" Marinette suddenly said.

"Really?" I asked curiously, because she never actually told me when she realized she loved me. I just assumed that it happened gradually.

"Yeah... It was that day, my first day at work, you had a photoshoot with Vogue. Remember?" She tilted her head in questioning.

"Yes, I remember... You were wearing that velvet blazer dress and the people around me asked if you were a model" I admitted, and she smiled.

"That's flattering... Anyway, you gave me your umbrella because you didn't want me to get drenched. I watched you leave, getting all soaked by the rain. Then, I knew I was in love with you" She beamed and looked at the ground shyly.

My heart started racing like Sonic on caffeine. She's in love with me, she said. Marinette Dupain-Cheng, the smartest, kindest, prettiest, sweetest soul I know is in love with me.

"Are you in love with me?" Her odd question interrupted my thoughts. Her voice cracked and she looked at me with fear and hope.

"What do you mean 'am I in love with you'? " I asked back in disbelief. "Of course I'm in love with you! I love you so much that I'm concerned about my physical and mental health" I shouted, and she slightly flinched at my tone.

End of flashback

Despite the jealousy that is filling my heart at the moment, I am glad that she found the one. And he better fucking make her happy, make her laugh everyday and never make her sad.

The rain is pouring harder now. Marinette turns around, as if going back to the party, abandoning her plans for an early night. Against all odds, I see her looking at me, lingering in the background.  Without realizing it, I walked towards her, even if she didn't want me to. I couldn't think of anything. I told myself not to be nervous, not to think about all the reasons for the painful tears I've been holding back all these years.

She didn't seem bothered by my presence. She didn't seem annoyed either. When I got to her, she looked at me straight in the eye and then looked down to her feet.

"Wtf are you doing Agreste? She's clearly uncomfortable right now" my brain told me. And with that, I subtly started to walk away.

Until I heard her voice call out my name. "Adrien, do you have some time right now?" She asked hesitantly. I looked at her intently, trying to figure out what that meant. Why does she need to talk to me? Does she need my help? Advice? Unlikely. So I just nodded, curiosity getting the best of me. Felix can cry about it later.

She smiled. "Good, but not here. Let's go to the hotel, I need to tell you something important."

Now I'm scared. She had that tone in her voice – the tone that she used when she told me she was leaving me. I know it all too well.

"Erm, okay, but I don't have an umbrella..." I mentioned.

"It's okay, I don't need your umbrella anymore" She replied. Those words felt like a knife to the heart, and shit got real for a second.

But hey, she is right, she doesn't need my umbrella to walk in the rain anymore. As far as I know, she doesn't need anything or anyone to weather any storm or catastrophe. And I wonder what it is that she wants to tell me.

-
Heyyy I hope you liked this chapter!! If yes, please VOTE and COMMENT!
Predictions for what's next?