Wattleseed reached into his pocket and handed something to Stery. 'Fitzsimmons thought you'd come around. We have a ticket for you – you can return with us tomorrow morning, if you'd like?'

Stery took the WhiskWay ticket, excitement glinting in his clay-grey eyes. He tucked the ticket into his robe. 'That sounds great. Thank you. If you'll excuse me, I believe I have an urgent meeting with Principle Diggles to arrange.'

Stery turned and headed towards the conservaterrarium. Bagsy guessed he was aiming for the platform that carried you up to the top of Quolldron college.

Putting her plate down Bagsy hurried after him.

'She never decided what she wanted from the barbeque?' Kim puzzled.

Wattleseed added a confused grunt in agreement.

'Bagsy?' Mezrielda hissed questioningly, having followed after her.

'I just have a question for him,' Bagsy said, leaving Mezrielda behind as she increased her pace to match Stery's.

Stery was stepping onto the platform when Bagsy reached him. Looking down at her with his completely grey eyes, he arched an eyebrow. 'Can I help you?'

'Um, yes, it's only... I couldn't help but overhear that you're going to work as a part time potions professor at Hogwarts.'

'Overheard, hm? While you were spending an hour choosing what to eat, you mean?'

'Uh, yeah...' Bagsy trailed off. 'I just wanted to ask... is Professor Blythurst okay? Each year he seems worse. I'm worried about him. If he needs another potions professor to help him, then, I guess... I'm asking if he's doing alright?'

Stery considered her, fiddling with the jewels on the end of his beard. 'Fitzsimmons contacted me earlier this year about this job. When they wrote to me they informed me Blythurst's health was not ideal. Since then, I imagine it's only become worse.'

'Oh,' Bagsy murmured sadly. 'I see.'

Stery pursed his lips sympathetically. 'I'm sure there are many talented healers doing all they can to help him and now that I'll be assisting with his teaching, he'll have more time for recovery.'

'Thank you.' Thinking that was it, Bagsy turned to leave.

'Hold on.'

Bagsy looked back.

'I'm sorry to probe, but you've already been nosy to me, so I feel I get to be nosy back.'

Bagsy stared at Stery, not sure what he could want.

'I just wanted to ask...' The tone of Stery's voice changed and it sent a chill up Bagsy's spine. 'How on earth did you end up in Britain?'

Whatever Bagsy was expecting, it hadn't been that. 'What do you mean?'

Stery leaned towards her, widening his eyes and pointing at their grey colour. 'Haven't you noticed these?'

Backing away, feeling a little scared, Bagsy held her hands up. 'I don't know what you're talking about. I better go.' Unsettled, Bagsy fled the cazza as quickly as she could.

'Oh merlin,' Stery breathed as she left. 'Doesn't she know...?'

Feeling queasy at Stery's odd behaviour, Bagsy hurried back to her room, trying to push the interaction from her mind.

That night she lay awake, staring at the ceiling, her hands clasped over her chest. The sounds and sights of the blue mountains were unfamiliar – cawing of strange birds, buzzing of foreign insects, and the blue light of the moon washed into the room.