Chapter 24 - Flash Fire

Barry and I were standing in the Cortex, staring at our suits in their cases. Caitlin, Ronnie, Professor Stein, Joe, Iris, Zach and Cisco were also in the Cortex. I turned around and walked out of the Cortex, I got into the elevator and just as the doors were about to close, a hand stopped them. I looked up and saw Barry, we never said a word as he got inside and we went down to the pipeline together. We opened the door and came face-to-face with Wells, he stood in one of the containment cells and raised his head to look at us.

"What?" Wells asked. "No Big Belly Burger? It's one of the few perks of living in this time. We're out of cows where I come from. You don't care about that. You have questions. Go ahead."

"I'm not sure where to start," I said, honestly. "Thawne. That is your real name? Eobard Thawne."

"Since the day I was born," Wells replied.

"And when was that?" I asked.

136 years from now. This is not what you wanna know," Wells said. "Go ahead. Ask."

"Why did you kill my mother?" Barry asked.

"Because I hate you," Wells answered. "I hate both of you. Not you now. You years from now."

"In the future," I said.

"In a future, yes," Wells replied. "We're enemies, rivals, opposites."

"Why? Why were we enemies?" Barry asked.

"It doesn't matter," Wells told us, turning around. "It doesn't matter anymore. What matters is neither of you were strong enough to defeat me. Just like I was never strong enough to defeat either of you. Even when I took you on alone without the other. Until I learned your secrets. I learned your names. Barry Allen and Zoe Sparks," he turned to face us. "And finally, I knew how to defeat you once and for all. Travel back in time, kill you as a child, wipe you from the face of the earth. But then you, future you, that is, followed me back and we fought. The three of us landed some pretty solid shots. And then your future selves got your younger selves out of there. In a rage, I stabbed your mother in the heart, Barry and then I was free. Finally able to return to a future without the Flash. Only when I fought you, Zoe, after you fought to protect your parents from the fire you created, which actually suffocated them, I didn't realize that the fire blast you hit me with was strong enough to siphon the Speed Force out of my system and I lost my way home. I was so mad because without it, I was stuck here, stranded in this time, unable to return to my home and the only way back was the Flash and Phoenix. But the Flash and Phoenix were gone and so I created them."

Barry shook his head, looking down before looking back at Wells. "Why train us? Why help us save so many people?"

"Because I needed you both to get faster, stronger," Wells said. "So that you could rupture the space-time barrier and create a stable wormhole through which I could return home," Wells said, backing away from the cell door.

I looked at him, incredulously. "Why would we ever do that?"

"Because, if you give me what I want, I'm gonna give you what you want," Wells told us. "You can go back and save your mother, Barry. You can prevent your father from going to prison. And you, Zoe, can go back and save your parents. Stop the fire before it kills them. You can reunite your families."

I shook my head. "No. No, I don't believe you," I hit my fist against the cell door, angrily. "I wanna kill you right now."

"I know that rage," Wells told me. "I used to feel that rage every time I looked upon the two of you. And now, somehow, I know what Joe, Henry and Zach feel when they look on you with pride. With love."

I grew angrier. "No, No, don't you ever say that to me."

Wells stepped closer. "I know you're upset, but I'm giving you a chance. I'm giving you a chance to undo all the evil I've done. Don't you want that chance?"