Chapter 16 - Out of Time

The silent alarm had been tripped at the Central City morgue, so I suited up and went to check it out

"What's going on?" Cisco asked me when I arrived. "What do you see?"

"A dead body," I told him.

"Zoe, you're in a morgue," Cisco said. "You're gonna have to be a little more specific than that."

"The coroner. He's dead," I clarified.

I let out a sigh and rushed away in a blaze, leaving before Barry and the cops showed up.

------>

Barry and Joe came to S.T.A.R. Labs to tell us that the guy who killed the coroner was Mark Mardon.

"So, Clyde Mardon has a brother?" I asked.

"And both brothers survived the plane crash and then the dark matter released from the particle accelerator explosion affects them both in virtually the same way," Wells answered.

"Yeah, only Mark's powers seem to be a lot more precise," Barry said. "To be able to control the weather like that indoors . . ."

"You'd have to be a Weather Wizard," Cisco said. "Ooh, been waiting since week one to use that one."

When he took a sip of his slushy, he contorted his face in discomfort and groaned.

"Trigeminal headache?" Caitlin asked.

"What?" Cisco asked.

"Trigeminal headache," Caitlin repeated. "Brain freeze."

"Then why didn't you just call it brain freeze?" Cisco asked.

"So, I'm guessing Barry running around a twister in the opposite direction and Zoe distracting Mardon isn't gonna do the trick this time?" Joe asked.

Barry and I shook our heads.

"I just remembered," Cisco turned around to face us. "During our run-in with Mardon, Clyde Mardon, I was tinkering with something to help attract unbound atmospheric electrons."

"Like a grounding mechanism?" I asked.

"Yes," Cisco answered. "'Cause the only way Mardon can control the weather is if he can tap into the atmosphere's natural electrical circuit. And if we take away that circuit, clear skies."

Joe's phone buzzed and he grabbed it out. "Singh's checking in. I gotta go."

"Yeah, I'll meet you at the station," Barry told him.

"Joe, we'll find Mardon," Wells assured him. "Don't worry."

"I'm not worried at all," he told us, walking out.

"Well, he's taking being targeted by a revenge-seeking metahuman rather well, I must say," Wells said.

"Don't worry, Barry," I said, placing a hand on Barry's shoulder. "Joe will be fine. I promise."