CHAPTER THIRTY EIGHT

chapter thirty eight( monstrous )

( monstrous )

"I am sure you have many questions."

"Yeah, no shit," Sofia sat up against the wall from her position on Derek's bed. "My dad was a deadbeat. You can't just show up here after 25 years and expect me to welcome you with open arms."

"Your father was anything but. I will not stand for his memory to be disrespected any further."

Sofia rolled her eyes, "Excuse me for being hesitant to believe the strange man that showed up out of nowhere."

"I will be happy to answer any questions and share the truth behind those heinous lies tomorrow. You need to rest," Jialiang looked to Braeden as if telling her to leave.

"Rest? She just slept for two days," Braeden fought.

Jialiang's eyes fell between Sofia and the wolf standing before her. Derek hadn't been able to remove his eyes from the girl, clearly wanting a moment alone.

Braeden caught his glance and looked between the two. She rolled her eyes, "Oh."

With a slight smile, Jialiang left the room with Braeden after she said her farewells.

Sofia finally met Derek's stare, "What's wrong?"

Derek looked at the girl like she was stupid, "You literally had no pulse at one point!"

Sofia waved him off, "I think we're way past that."

"No. Not really."

Sofia's expression turned to one of a teasing nature, "Aww you like me."

"Shut up," Derek rolled his eyes.

Sofia weakly laughed before moving ever so slightly to one side of the bed. Derek caught her thought and joined her.

The injured female gently scooted her body down so she was laying once more. She turned onto her side to face Derek.

The man in question unconsciously scanned her body for physical signs of weakness or pain. Sofia cleared her throat to catch his attention.

"You have no idea how it felt to find you like that," Derek started softly. "There was no sign of life. I thought you were dead."

The smallest of smiles graced Sofia's face, "It won't be that easy to get rid of me, Hale."

"Good."

✰ ✰ ✰ ✰ ✰

The bright hues of the sun ran across Sofia's face, pulling the girl out of her slumber. A wave of pain fell over her body as she shifted. She looked down to find Derek's arm draped over her stomach. Sofia thought for a minute before nestling back into the pillow and laying her hand over his.