CHAPTER SEVEN

chapter seven(letharia vulpina)

chapter seven
(letharia vulpina)

          Sofia tackled Kira to the ground, both girls nearly escaping a fatal injury from the electrical current. The wire continued to wave unhinged in front of the girls.

As it got closer, Sofia attempted to roll Kira out of the way. The sudden sharp impact of the electricity felt all too familiar for Sofia. The uncomfortable heat radiated under her skin as the wire bounced around her body.

Suddenly an ambulance drove through and hit the wire causing it to spin out of control. A ground pipe had been burst and started to spill all over the parking lot. Sofia tried to push herself up but fell back down.

It had been a while since Sofia had been in this much agony from electricity. Her body had been trained to endure more pain than the average human, thanks to her loving relatives. However, it had been a little over a week since she had felt true discomfort like this.

Sofia couldn't see anything from her position but she heard the panicked commotion. Kira was yelling at everyone to stay back and people were screaming in horror.

The injured girl looked up just in time to see Kira grabbing hold of the wire. She suddenly extinguished the spark with her hand.

Sofia thought she had imagined the whole thing. Other patrons had made their way out of the hospital entrance, a few asked if she was okay but the others pursued in chaos.

Derek ran to Isaac's side to check on the boy. Isaac wasn't breathing and Scott made his way over.

Startled, Kira dropped the wire once she remembered the older female. "Sofia!" Kira called and ran to her side.

Derek, hearing Kira's shout, looked around the space. He spotted the young girl hovered over someone.

Sofia.

✰ ✰ ✰ ✰ ✰

"I'm fine," Sofia stated for the third time.

"You are not fine," Melissa started sternly, "You just got hit with god knows how many volts of electricity."

Sofia tried to sit up but Melissa pushed her back down onto the small hospital bed.

"It barely skimmed me," Sofia tried to argue.

"Doesn't matter. You could've been killed if it had contact any longer," Sofia tried to make a retort but Melissa shushed her.