Chapter 2 - Don't see it coming till its standing right in front of you

Sunlight peered through the window of the room. L glanced over his shoulder as its radiance shone on the sleeping young woman's face. Should he close the blinds? It was still early. Then again, she had to wake up eventually. There was no point in postponing the inevitable. He meant to turn back to his laptop, but his eyes fell on the phone instead.

I suppose I should make sure breakfast is ready, he thought. Cassandra likes pancakes, but if it's C who wakes up, she won't touch them. Hmm, maybe I should wait just to make sure. It would be typical of C to force me into introducing Cassandra to the Task Force after her memorable entrance yesterday. Then again, she may want to ensure Cassandra's safety first.

A soft moan pulled L from his musings. He waited patiently until he heard a confused voice behind him.

"Wha... What's...? Where am I?"

L rose from his crouched position on the couch. He slouched over to the bed, hands in his pockets, to reveal himself. "Hello, Cassandra."

"Lawliet!" Cassandra jerked up, pulling the sheets tightly around her bare breasts. "Wha-whe-why-how?"

"Easy, deep breaths. You're in Japan. Tokyo, to be precise. At the Kira Task Force HQ, to be even more precise."

Her eyes widened at the information. She looked past L, out the window, as if to confirm his words. Her grip on the sheets loosened, and they dropped a little, revealing the top of her bosom. L grabbed the blue oversized sweater at the foot of the bed and held it out to her, but she made no effort to take it.

"You're crazy," she whispered, slowly shaking her head, hoping to wake up from some nightmare. "Lawliet, we agreed we can't leave Wammy's House! Why would you...? Oh God, Near! H-He's sick. I need to get back to him."

"I will explain everything," stated L. "Please take the sweater."

It was terribly bothersome that C refused to wear anything but her panties to bed, but at least she always left something close-by for Cassandra to wear when she woke up. The first time it happened caught him off guard, but after four years, he was used to it by now. Still, L noted the entire ordeal made her uncomfortable. For some reason, even more so when he was in the room with her.
Cassandra grabbed the sweater from L and pulled it over her head. As she plaited her hair back with her fingers, L rang down for Watari to bring up some pancakes. He then sat across from Cassandra on the bed, mirroring her tailor pose as it was slightly better to sit since he didn't have any back support and the mattress was softer than anticipated.

"I know you have questions, but please allow me to set your mind at ease first," he started. "I called Wammy's earlier and spoke to Roger. Near is recovering well and started eating again. He asked for you when you didn't come to read him a bedtime story and was apparently worried he got you sick. Roger will inform him you are with me."

Cassandra sighed in relief. "Thank you."

"I should thank you. You took great care of him."

She blushed at his praise. L didn't understand why as it was but a statement of fact.

"Now, as to why you are here," he continued. "I've been on the Kira-case for a little over half a year now, and though I have a suspect, I have no definite proof to apprehend him, nor do I understand his modus operandi. A copycat came into play a few months ago, whom we call Second Kira, and this person claimed the existence of a Shinigami. I don't think I should ignore this last bit of information, hence why I called in C."

"But she's always helped you from a distance," said Cassandra. "You never let us join you on location because of... what might happen."

"I am aware. Yet with an opponent like Kira, I have to take the risk. C is my only chance if something supernatural truly is going on here."