Chapter 58: Traps

Ricardo's POV

Startled by my presence, Adani faced me.

"How much of that you've heard?" she asked.

"I heard everything," I found myself answering rather sharply. My eyes narrowed in on her as I placed my hands into my front pants pocket, "I know my mother is an exigent woman but did you have to stoop to that level, Adani?" I asked.

The thing I wanted was letting my mother have a vivid clue on how I bang my fianceé.

"Yes," she simply answered.

"Excuse me?"

"You heard me clearly enough, Ricardo. Perhaps I shouldn't have been so detailed about our activities to your mother but I don't regret having the last laugh today," she confidently answered before she drank the remaining content of water.

"You think this is funny? I'm not going to have a back and forth between you and my mom the moment you two are under the same roof or on the phone. The both of you need to stop," I advised.

It was exhausting at this point.

"Your mom picks the fights with me. You didn't hear her end of the conversation so don't paint me as the bad-guy."

"That's not what I'm doing."

"It sure sounds like it and I don't understand why we're having this conversation when you know how she treats me. She's never going to accept me, Ricardo!"

"Adani, calm down."

"I AM CALM!" she bellowed.
Then I wouldn't like to see her upset if this was her being calm.

I recoiled. I had no intentions of escalating the situation.

"I came by to take you to dinner. Rockett and her companion would be joining us at the restaurant," I shifted the topic.

"Okay," she answered without hesitation.

~

We headed homeward, took our showers, dressed then headed to an upscale Italian restaurant where Rockett and her friend were already seated.

"Adani," she greeted her with an embrace as Adani and I reached the table.

"It's so nice to see you again. How are you?" Adani asked as she returned the hug to my sister. I admired the bond they had. Rockett has seen everyone else as unlikable except Adani.

"I'm great," Rockett answered then came over and swatted me on the arm for a greeting.

"Hello big brother," she said. We hugged.

"Sis."

"This is Kaleb Monet. We met just a few days ago in Paris when he was visiting his parents. His family owns one of the largest winery in all of France," Rockett introduced her companion.

"It's nice to meet you, Kaleb," I said and extended his hand to him.

"It's nice to meet you too, Ricardo," Kaleb answered in a strong french accent. We shook hands then also took our seats, me sitting next to Adani and Kaleb next to Rockett.

"You don't reside in France?" I asked him.

"Oh no. I live here in California. Atherton to be exact," Kaleb answered.

I didn't like him. There was something about him that screamed 'slay fox and liar' but that was just the impression I created about him.

~
We chattered over our delicious meals and mouth-watering desserts until the evening came to an end.