Chapter 44: Last Straw

Ricardo's POV

*A few days later*

It was my turn to show up to Marcus' office uninvited and unexpectedly. Finding the room unoccupied, I sat down in his chair behind the desk. A framed picture of himself and his daughter stared back at me.

Soon enough, the door opened. Marcus secretary was pressed up against him as they stumbled over the threshold while giggling.

I cleared my throat, alerting them of my presence. They sprung apart and turned in my direction.

"Ricky," Marcus said in surprise, "I wasn't expecting you today."

"I can tell," I responded with annoyance.

"Excuse us, darling," he said to the thirsty secretary. She straightened her clothes, smooth her hair and exited.

~

"What are you doing here?" Marcus asked. It was obvious he didn't appreciate the intrusion.

"I have to talk to you, Marcus," I answered and put my feet up on the desk.

"And make yourself comfortable. Is this about Penelope?"

"Isn't it always?"

"What has she done now, I heard about her crashing your gala event, but I doubt she did anything terrible."

"You really know your daughter, huh?" I tented my fingers and waited for his response.

"She's my daughter. My only child. Of course I know her."

"And you give her instructions, right?"

"Where are you getting at?"

"You're the worst kind of snake there is."

"What are you talking about?"

"You know exactly what I'm talking about. I can right through you and that daughter of yours. She's not innocent in this because she has a brain and can think for herself but you used her as your tool to sink my company. You've failed. Parriston is still standing and would continue to stand as long as I breathe."

"You have a crazy imagination, boy!"

"It was your idea to have Penelope move back to LA. You told her to woo me but when you realized it would be more work, you offered to have my company go international. You know I'm not the kind to publicly humiliate someone so you brought the engagement ring and I just had to ask for Penelope's hand. But you've already given her the hint that that was going to happen."

"A father's love for his daughter. I don't see your point. I didn't hold a gun to your head neither did Penelope."

"You bullied her into stepping up her game. Everytime she does some bullshit and she sees you afterwards, she comes back with her tail between her legs. The Penelope I know stands on her actions unless someone wanted her to act differently. You!"

"I was trying to fix things between the two of you."

"No. You were trying to make certain you plan goes into motion, Marcus."

"Plan! What plan?!"

"To take my company."

"Are you insane, I wanted to help you and your company. I have that international reach and I wanted to extend a hand to you. Your father and I..."

"Don't you dare! You were never a friend to my father, you were a competitor!"

"I was a partner."

"Until my father found out your dirty dealings and removed you from his company. Ever since then, you held that grudge."