"One thing you don't do, Haneul," Mara muttered, "Is mess with other people's livestock. You didn't feed our horses yesterday, you only fed yours. Do you understand how detrimental that is?" Mara softly spoke, trying to remain calm and composed. She didn't want to be made out as the bad guy.

"I didn't know I was supposed to feed them too," Haneul frowned, "I figured you would feed them since you've been complaining."

"A horse should not go very long without hay, so their troughs have to be filled every now and then if they're not freely grazing," Mara explained, "I asked you yesterday if they were fine and you said yes," Mara sighed, "That is my only grievance."

"I thought you meant our horses, not yours," Haneul argued. Mara made a face, and she closed her eyes before exhaling heavily. Haneul didn't seem to like this expression, and she scoffed with displeasure.

"There's no need to be condescending. Jungkook are you going to let her talk to me like that?" Haneul indignantly placed a hand on her chest, expectantly waiting for Jungkook to say something. The boy froze between the two women, conflicted gaze shifting from Mara to Haneul and so forth. Mara dryly laughed to herself and began working to get her horses' troughs full of hay. She expected them to be hungry, considering the negligence. Mara was relieved to have been skeptical the day prior, as her suspicions were proved correct.

"Let's not start the day off like this," Jungkook sternly spoke.

"I'm not trying to, Kook. But they're just horses. She can't treat them like people," Haneul shook her head, slightly narrowing her eyes at Mara. The stoic girl brushed passed Haneul, careless of her pointed stare that burned holes through her. Mara side-eyed Jungkook, feeling a slight sting over his refusal to say something in her defense. He didn't seem at all bothered by Haneul devaluing the horses when he himself had gone out of his way to name them when no one else had.

"Haneul, you can't neglect our horses simply because they are not yours. If I hadn't fed them yesterday, nobody would have. And that could've really fucked up their health," Mara snapped, her scolding causing Haneul's face to fall. Mara didn't mean to feed her annoyance, but the more Haneul denied accountability, the more it upset Mara.

"It's too early to be picking fights, Mara. You either want her to help or not," Jungkook coldly muttered.

Mara bitterly smiled despite the ache of betrayal, "Right," she nodded, "Sorry, Kook." At the very blatantly sarcastic use of his nickname, Jungkook's eye twitched.

"I'm the one you should apologize to. Right, Kook?" Haneul mumbled. Her use of the name only entertained Mara further.

Jungkook pursed his lips, turning to Haneul, "Only my close friends call me that. Please call me Jungkook."

Mara paused at his annoyance. Jungkook turned on his heels and left the stables, sparing not a single word or glance for Mara—or anyone for that matter. Haneul looked like she'd just gotten her birthday balloons popped, and though it brought a slight joy to Mara's heart, she felt an underlying guilt.

"Are you happy now?" Haneul eyed Mara, her distaste becoming increasingly apparent.

"Listen, Haneul," Mara began, "I have nothing against you, but if you're going to do my chores?" She dusted her hands off, "Do them correctly."

Haneul rolled her eyes, "I know you feel threatened by me but if you could make it just a little less obvious," she snapped, "That would be great," she stormed off, leaving Mara alone and dumbfounded.

"Is there an issue?"

She shook her head, waving her hands in denial. She fidgeted in her seat and tapped her hands on her thighs, words slipping passed her lips in practiced innocence.