Chapter 15

A/N: Sorry that took so long. Forgot I left you on a cliffhanger 💀💀 anyway, this song ❤️

Taka burst into the room as soon as he got the call from Fujisaki that he had woken up. "MONDO!"

Mondo tensed up as Taka rushed forward, hugging him tightly. "God, I'm so glad you're okay!"

Mondo stared at the sheets, refusing to respond to him. Taka pulled away, looking at Fujisaki, who just shook her head. "He hasn't been talking to me either."

Taka tried to look him in the eyes, but he only looked away. "How long has he been awake?"

"Only about ten minutes now. Maybe we should give him some time?" She suggested.

Taka nodded, sitting in a chair beside Fujisaki and Mondo, exhausted from having to run all the way there. Fujisaki stood. "I'll go get everyone something to drink."

Taka bowed slightly in his seat. "Thank you." He said as she left.

It was silent for a while. Mondo even laid back down, which scared Taka for a little while, but he soon came to realize that he wasn't going to be falling asleep with the amount of discomfort he was in at the moment. "Taka." He muttered.

Taka sat up straight immediately. "Mondo! Yes, I'm here!"

Mondo glared up at him. "Leave."

Taka's eyes widened and he leaned forward slightly, confused. "What...?"

"I said to leave." He said, his voice raspy. "I don't want you seeing me like this."

Taka's hands clenched into fists, gripping his clothes tightly. "Excuse me...?"

"I said-"

Taka stood up quick, interrupting him with the sound of the chair scraping the floor. "I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR WEEKS FOR YOU TO WAKE UP!" He yelled as Fujisaki walked in.

"I- Taka-"

"NO! I'VE LOST MY DAD, MY GRADES HAVE BEEN DROPPING AND NOW MY BEST FRIEND IS IN THE HOSPITAL." He yelled, wrapping his arms around himself tightly.

The room fell silent as Taka's hands dropped to his sides, the only sounds being his small hiccups as he helplessly cried in front of them. Through his blurred vision, he saw a black skirt approach him from his left. He let Fujisaki's skinny arms wrap around him, and he put his hand over her arms, trembling.

"I'm so sorry..."

Taka and Fujisaki both looked up to the boy in bed. Mondo was crying too. He dropped his gaze back down to the bedsheets in shame, running his left hand through his hair, his right arm in a cast. "I wasn't thinkin' straight."

Taka stepped forward, crashing into him in a hug. "God, you don't know what I would've done if you didn't wake up." He sobbed, nuzzling into his hospital gown.

Mondo rubbed circles on his back, tears pricking at the corners of his eyes as he tried to stay calm. "I'm glad I woke up in time then..." he mumbled into Taka's uniform.

Taka felt himself sink in his arms, like falling onto your mattress after sleeping on the floor for a month. He felt content. Comfortable. Safe. The warm silence was interrupted when Fujisaki's phone rang. "Ah, I'm sorry. I'll be right back." She said, leaving the room.

Mondo slowly began to realize the situation he was in. He felt sick, but... in a way he... enjoyed? He shook the thought away as Fujisaki entered. "Hey, guys, I need to head home!" She said, writing her number on a piece of paper. "If you need me for anything at all, don't be afraid to call me!"

Taka said goodbye and thanked her at the door before returning to a seat beside the bed. He let out a relieved sigh as he pulled the chair closer to the bed, resting his head by Mondo's stomach. "I love you so much." He muttered.

Mondo's smile faded slightly. "Could we take a break from the game for a bit?"

Taka turned his head from where it rested in his arms, meeting Mondo's eyes. "No, Mondo, I'm not playing... I love you." He said, reaching up to his face and messing with Mondo's hair, running down a little past his shoulders now that it was down. "I don't want to pretend anymore. I want to be your boyfriend..." he said, muttering the last part as it still felt unusual to say aloud.

Mondo brought his hand up over his, leaning into his touch. He closed his eyes, humming. "Does that mean I win?"

"M-Mondo!" Taka said, pulling his hand away to cover his red face.

Mondo chuckled, reaching his hand out to cup his cheek. Mondo smiled, leaning forward slightly. Taka felt himself lean in slightly as well, tilting his head slightly to the side. After a moment, he closed his eyes... Mondo cleared his throat. "Uh- I can't really... lean forward anymore." He said awkwardly.

"Ah- sorry!" He said, scooting forward a bit more.

Again, he tilted his head to the side a bit, closing his eyes and feeling Mondo's lips against his. It felt... off. He opened his eyes when he pulled away, seeing Mondo holding back his laughter. "W-what? What happened?"

"You- you were fish-faced-!" He said through his laughter, mocking his facial expression.

Taka was taken aback, covering his face again as he felt extremely embarrassed. "I'm sorry! I've never kissed anyone before!"

Mondo smiled, motioning for him to lean closer. Taka hesitantly did as ordered. He let Mondo touch his lips, the roughness of his calloused hands gliding over his soft skin. Mondo began leaning in again. "Just like that." He whispered before kissing him.

Yeah, this felt better. He felt himself leaning into him even more, pulling away after a few seconds and putting his arms around him, hiding his blush in his hospital gown. He heard every inhale and exhale as he laughed, so lightly. He felt Mondo's fingers running through his hair, easing his worries. "So?" He mumbled, looking up at him.

Mondo kissed his forehead. "I thought that was enough of an answer. I love you too, Taka."

Taka smiled, squeezing him tight, though gently. "I just wanted to hear you say it back."

"I love you too, Taka." He said again, running his fingers through his hair.

Taka blushed, pushing himself away as he covered his face. "Okay, okay, you don't need to say it a-"

He put his arm around Taka's waist, holding him loosely but securely. "I love you too, Taka." He repeated.

Taka laughed. "Stop it, Mondo!" He said, flustered.

"But I love you too, Taka!" He said; laughing too.

Taka smiled. Maybe he could have a happy ending after all.

A/N: THE LAST CHAPTER I WROTE WAS IN SEPTEMBER?! I'M ONLY, LIKE, HALFWAY THRU WTF-

I'm so sorry this took so long, I just got out of my art block, and I'll try my best to keep writing but January is a really busy month for me!

February won't because- yk

Single life's the best... sometimes. Anyway, again, I'll try my best! Going to bed (hopefully) now!