Chapter 1- The End of Summer

Mondo let his shoulders droop as he sighed, sitting atop the roof of the hospital. His brother, Daiya, joined him soon after. "Something on your mind?"
              He stood up and met with his brother, eager to leave. "Well, it's the last day o' summer. When school starts, you normally start focusin' on your studies more than the gang."
              Daiya paused, waiting for him to continue. "There's something else, isn't there?"
              Mondo followed him into the elevator, feeling their slow descension beneath his feet. "You readin' my mind or somethin'?"
              "Don't change the subject." Daiya said with a laugh. "Come on, tell me."
              Mondo didn't respond, staring blankly at the door as it opened into the lobby. "Is it about school?" Daiya asked, following Mondo out the entrance doors.
              Mondo didn't turn back. "Well, I'm goin' to Hopes Peak for your title!"
               "Is it about school?" Daiya repeated, concern laced in his words.
               Mondo let out another sigh. "I said, I'm going to Hopes Peak for your title, Bro. It's not fair- you deserve that title." He repeated
               "Well, people don't know I'm even a biker. Plus, I'm almost done with school anyway-"
               "It's still your talent, not mine!" Mondo felt his anger boil, words spilling out of his mouth before he could calm himself down again. "You're a better biker than me, Bro. You deserve to go there, not me."
                "Well, you know how the world works. You're given a title based on how society sees you. I don't have much time left anyw-"
                 "Stop that!" Mondo stopped his long strides and turned to look at his older brother. He could still see the hospital behind him. "There's still a chance, Bro, you're gonna make it, ya hear me?!"
                  Daiya paused for a minute, staring at his brother with a confused expression. "What time is it?" he asked quietly under his breath.
                 Mondo looked at his watch. "Eight o'clock."
                 Daiya turned around quick, falling to the floor dizzily. "'m late for my appoin'ment, Mondo-"
                 Mondo helped him up, putting his brother's arm over his shoulders and helping him walk. "No, Bro, you just went to your appointment. No worries."
                Daiya repeated himself. "I'm late, Mondo-"
               He had still felt uneasy on his feet and couldn't walk without Mondo. He had no choice but to follow him to the station. Sitting him down on a bench, waiting for their trains arrival, Mondo asked a question that had bugged him for a while. "Do you remember? The accident?"
               "Accident?" Daiya let out a small laugh. "What accident?"
                Mondo smiled. "It's nothing."
As the train arrived, Mondo helped his brother onto the train, and they went home in silence. Mondo barely slept that night. He sat in a chair beside his brother's bed, waking up drenched in sweat after numerous memories of the accident replayed in his head. He would always watch his brother just to make sure he was breathing- that he was alright. It was like this quite often unless Yuuki, another member of Crazy Diamond, was there to watch over Daiya. When the sun shone through the blinds, he finally left his side to shower and change into clothes for school.
In the middle of brushing his teeth, Mondo rushed to open the door after a sudden ring. There, Yuuki stood. "Ready for school?"
"Almost. Come in." he said, moving out of the way.
Yuuki welcomed himself in, removing his shoes as he walked in. "He's doing okay, right? Nothing abnormal?"
Mondo slipped on his white biker jacket. "Nothin' new." He replied, fixing his hair.
Yuuki fished a bread loaf out of their pantry, putting two slices into the toaster. "You look like shit by the way."
Mondo rolled his eyes, walking into the bathroom to do his eyeliner and attempt to hide his eyebags. "Wanna talk about it?"
"Not with you." He muttered, walking back out.
"Rude." Yuuki replied, spreading butter onto a piece of toast. "Hey, you're gonna be late." He said, handing him the slice.
Mondo put it into his mouth, putting on his shoes in a hurry. "Do you wanna talk about it later?"
"No." Mondo replied, short and simple as he ran out the door, hopping onto his motorcycle and heading to Hopes Peak.