⊱---𝟒𝟐---⊰

Start from the beginning

The receptionist stopped talking to the guest as she stared past them with wide eyes, watching as a familiar woman ran up the stairs to the rooms. Slamming the door open, [ Name ] hurriedly looked around. Everything was untouched, like the last time she saw it six months ago. Her shoes were angled in the direction that was most convenient for her to slide them on, her loose accessories rested atop the table by the door, and her bed wasn't touched of its bedsheets and pillows-- waiting for the day its owner would occupy it again.

The small thin drapes that decorated the window flowed freely as wind circulated inside the room, and the long white drapes on the balcony door danced with the breeze in an inward motion. The way the wind was blowing the curtains made it impossible to see outside as they leaned to the left, covering her view of the moon and stars.

But they were thin enough to the point she could see a figure behind them. Swallowing down a nervous lump in her throat, she slowly walked forward. It was like walking through hardening mud, a lightheaded feeling overcoming her as she already felt her eyes begin to sting. The creak of the floorboards alerted whoever was on the other side as his head shot up and looked over his shoulder without fully turning around.

And the two were clearly able to sense one another's presence. Placing her hand on the silky curtain, [ Name ]'s shaking fingers gently pulled it out of the way.

Revealed to her was a person that made that mud vanish and her mind clear. As he was turned in her direction, she could see him wearing a demon mask. But it wasn't his. The luminescent [ Color ] of her demon mask looked out of place from his anemo theme, but it was an item that brought him more comfort than anything in this world.

His hand visibly shook as he raised it upwards, placing his palm against the mask before he slowly took it off from his face. What was revealed was wide, shaking golden eyes and parted lips.

And in his other hand laid her vision as it glowed brightly in the color of her given element. It swirled with life and hope, Xiao's bottom lip wobbling before he quickly pressed them together.

He was the first to break the silence as [ Name ] stood in the doorway, his voice raspy and breaking with every word he muttered.

"Please, please tell me this is real," he begged.

Taking a step forward, [ Name ] nodded her head.

"It's real."

His eyes watered as he turned his body to fully face her, his hand holding the mask dropping to his side pathetically.

"Tell me again," he asked.

She took another step forward, her own eyes beginning to water as her face melted in emotional pain from seeing his own sorrow.

"It's real, I promise you this is true," she reassured.

As a tear slid down the side of his face, reflecting a cool silver against the moon, he said in a much quieter voice,

"Once more"

[ Name ] now stood in front of him, staring into his eyes with nothing but a soft smile on her face as her eyes creased sadly.

"This is all real, and I promise you. I won't leave you ever again, Xiao."

What do you even say to someone who's been gone for so long and suddenly has returned? Someone who was thought to be dead, but was currently living? He felt like this was some cruel joke, disbelief driving him to keep his distance.

But even if this was a dream, even if he approached her and he would only be able to register a glimpse more until she vanished, he wanted to feel her once more. He wanted to hear her call his name one more time. And he wanted to tell her how he felt, even if this would be the last time that he'll ever have an illusion like this before falling into acceptance.

"Xiao..." she repeated, taking an experimental step closer to him.

Xiao's lip quivered violently as he finally stopped pressing them together, his head shaking back and forth slightly as his eyes narrowed with tears.

"I'm so sorry."

Warmth.

Xiao felt the warmth of her body against his as she brought him into a hug. Her gentle approach absolutely shattered him, unable to hug back with her items in his hands as he instantly relaxed.

"I— *hick*."

As she broke the hug and stepped back, Xiao placed her mask and vision on the thick railing before moving closer to her. This time, he took the steps forward as he raised his hand. Sticking out his thumb, he gently began to wipe away her tears.

With another step closer, Xiao slowly leaned towards her face as he pressed his forehead against hers. He lifted his arms up and pressed his hands on the side of her head, feeling her hair between his fingers. The texture felt all too real to him, and it sent a stinging sensation to the back of his eyes.

His voice was clearer this time, finally realizing this was truly her. It wasn't another one of his delusions or his mind playing tricks on him after overusing his Adeptal powers-- this was real.

"I won't let you out of my sight again. When I learned you died that day, I felt like I died with you."

She cried and nodded her head against his, quick to add on,

"Every day I was separated from you I regretted not telling you how I felt. I met people and grew to love them, but I'll never feel the same way I do for you towards anyone else."

She had to tell him this, even if it meant she would be rejected and told upfront that he doesn't feel the same way. Because that's what that other world taught her and what the people there influenced her to do. To take initiative, to be upfront, and to show someone how much you care for them before they're gone.

"I... love you, Xiao."

His eyes widened, shaking like startled water as he looked into hers. His expression relaxed as he talked, mentally fighting back the tears that threatened to make their appearance.

"I understand what it means now. The longing, the waiting for you to come home safely, the intense mourning..."

Xiao learned how to recognize and express his feelings while they were separated through his encounter with others. From the owner of the Wangshuu inn, to the woman and her child, and to Lumine, Paimon, and Barbatos.

His hand lowered to cup her cheek lovingly, the other sliding away from her hair.

"I love you too, [ Name ]. I love you so much it hurts."

She felt his cold glove-less hand touch her face. His fingers gently held her cheek as he pulled his forehead away from hers so he could stare at her face.

He shut his eyes and leaned forward, [ Name ]'s own eyes closing in response.

He pressed his lips onto hers, a warmth blanketing the two as they sealed their feelings for one another with the gesture. Pulling away slowly, his eyes fluttered open as he looked at her with a shaking expression, unable to hold anything back anymore.

His voice came out in a whisper as he repeated his words.

"I love you [ Name ]."

After saying them out loud, he couldn't stop the heavy tears that began falling down his cheeks.

As she choked on her sobs, [ Name ] moved forward and embraced him, wanting nothing more than for the two to hold each other in their arms. And when she hugged him, it made her realize.

That dream of hers wasn't so unobtainable after all. Her assumption was correct; stars did radiate warmth, and the one she wanted most was with her all along.

Now that she's finally able to cradle one in her arms, she'll never let it go.