Katara: I don't want to heal, I want to fight!

Master Pakku: I can see that. But our tribe has customs, rules.

Katara: Well your rules stink!

Aang: Yeh! They're not fair. If you won't teach Katara, then -

_: aang what are you doing

Master Pakku (standing up): Then what?

Aang: Then I won't learn from you!

(Aang turns and begins to walk away.)

Master Pakku: Well have fun teaching yourself. I'm sure you'll do a great job.

Katara: Wait! (To Pakku) Aang didn't mean that.

(_ runs over to Aang's retreating figure and grabs him by the shoulder to stop him.)

_: You can't risk your training for me or kat. You have to learn from Master Pakku. Even if he is a big jerk.

Master Pakku: Why don't we get started then.

in the city

Katara: Um, hi. Are you Yagoda?

Yugoda: Are you here for the healing lesson?

(Katara surveys the room. The students are all girls who look younger than she. Katara looks at the ground glumly.)

Katara (walking forward and sitting down): I guess we are.

Yugoda: Welcome! Welcome!

(Cut to Aang moving around a blob of water while Master Pakku, sitting cross-legged with a bowl of steaming soup in front him, gives instruction. Aang looks unhappy and sullen.)

Master Pakku: You're moving the water around, but you're not feeling the push and pull.

Aang (through gritted teeth): I'm trying!

Master Pakku (lifting the soup and sucking out some food from it): Maybe that move is too advanced for you. Why don't you try an easier one?

(Aang throws the water to the ground in frustration. Cut back to an exterior shot of the healer's building, then cut to the inner chamber. The young girls are taking the dummy out on its stretcher, leaving Katara _ and Yugoda. Katara walks over to her teacher.)

Katara: Thanks for the lesson.

Yugoda: So, who's the lucky boy?

Katara: Huh?

_: what are you taking about

Yugoda (pointing at her neck): Your betrothal necklace. You're getting married, right?

Katara (smiling): No, I don't think I'm ready for that yet. My grandmother gave my mother this necklace, and my mother passed it down to me.

Yugoda (looking closely at the necklace): I recognize this carving! I don't know why I didn't realize sooner! You're the spitting image of Kana!

_ (starting backwards in surprise): Wait, how do you know our Gran-Gran's name?

Yugoda: When I was about your age I was friends with Kana. She was born here, in the Northern Tribe.

Katara (looking away): She never told us.

Yugoda: Your grandmother had an arranged marriage with a young waterbender. He carved that necklace for her.

Katara: If Gran-Gran was engaged, why did she leave?

Yugoda: I don't know. That's always been a mystery to me. She left without saying goodbye.