'Indigenous tribe?' Bagsy echoed.

Wayne gave her a disapproving look. 'You don't think Australia was empty when the colonists arrived, do you?'

Bagsy felt even more puzzled, now. 'Colonists?'

Wayne paused, realising the problem.

Mezrielda said, 'She doesn't know much about history. The history professor at Hogwarts is terribly dull, and they don't cover important things like this in the course.'

Wayne took a moment to think. 'Basically, people came here a long time ago and decided it was their land, even though people already lived here. Now, the people that lived here first want their land back, but the people who now own the land don't wanna do that. Take Diggles, for instance.' Wayne gestured at Diggles, who's arm was slung over an annoyed looking Stery while he talked to Wattleseed and Kim. 'He says it's not his fault his ancestors took this land from the indigenous tribe that lived here, so he shouldn't have to return it, even though he's filthy rich and has his choice of other prominent locations.'

Bagsy looking at Diggles thoughtfully. 'He sounds like a bit of a git.' Mezrielda hummed her agreement.

Wayne let out a resigned sigh. 'He makes all the decisions, though, so there isn't much we can do about it, and this doesn't even begin to touch on the harder to spot, society-wide issues to do with it. There isn't enough time in the year for me to explain it fully.'

Wayne seemed to want to leave the topic there, so Bagsy didn't push it further.

Once the plates had been picked clean, and Diggles had finished talking animatedly about how he planned on expanding Quolldron college with an extra quidditch pitch and a second conservaterrarium, they headed to their rooms.

'Oh! Bagsy, Mezrielda,' Wattleseed called to them, hurrying over as they were beginning to descend the winding steps to the tiger's dormitory. 'Here is your schedule for the week. There's a lot to see and do, but I've also ensured you have some free time to look around on your own. Wayne said he would love to give you some insights on what it's like to be a student here and to live in Australia, so if you want to see some cool stuff you should speak to him.'

Stery, who was a few steps behind Wattleseed, gave them a polite bow. 'Also, I'll be seeing you first thing tomorrow for your induction into the cazza. You aren't allowed in there unsupervised until you've received one, so be sure not to miss it.'

Promising they wouldn't forget, Mezrielda and Bagsy hurried back to their beds, and settled in for the night.

'Try and put magic from your mind,' Bagsy offered lamely to Mezrielda as she squeezed toothpaste onto her toothbrush.

Mezrielda, now free from the distraction of the barbeque, was lying on her bed, having returned to her brooding. 'I'll try,' she muttered non-committally, pulling the thin sheet on the bed over herself and closing her eyes. She was still for only a few moments before throwing her arms and legs out, letting out a frustrated grunt.

'What's the matter?' Bagsy asked, half-way through brushing her teeth.

'It's not a coffin,' Mezrielda complained. 'And there are no curtains to pull closed, either. It's like sleeping in an open field.'

Bagsy, who couldn't imagine something worse than sleeping in an enclosed space, had to take a second to consider why this would be a problem. She tapped her chin thoughtfully as she put her toothbrush down next to the sink. 'What if I quickly attached some planks around the bed, so it was more like a coffin?'

Mezrielda propped herself up and shot a considering look her way. 'Wouldn't that be rather loud, and take a fair amount of time to execute?'

'Not really. I'm quite good with magic magnets, after all the things I've made with them, so it wouldn't take me long to attach some to some planks and calibrate them to the vertical surfaces on the side of the bed.'