chapter 7

things went down as they had the day before. callie woke you up by 6:30, ace (and you) was ready by 7:00 , and you were at work by 7:20, leaving ten minutes to clock in.

you strolled into your office, but noticed something... odd.

"arthur?" you called out, gazing quickly around the office. he was nowhere to be found. you made your way over to the receptionist's desk.

"janice, did arthur come in today?" you asked. she shook her head, giving you a sorrowful glance.

"no, mx. l/n. he usually isn't late; although maybe he's not coming in today." you sighed.

"no, janice, that can't be possible. he... he was resigning today, he told me so. he would've come in to give his proper goodbyes, an official explanation. arthur fieldpool is a lot of things; mostly negative for that matter. but i've never known him to be flaky," you declared. janice just gave you another pitiful look.

"i'm sorry, mx. l/n, i really am. i never saw mr. fieldpool leave the office last night, so clearly he was buried deep in some kind of paperwork... or emotional turmoil," janice added the last bit comically, and you had to suppress your anger at the woman's attitude.

look, i hate the guy too, but laughing at his suffering isn't where i get my kicks in!

"see, he isn't in his office, janice. what time did you leave?" you pressured. janice began speaking, but was cut off by the ring of the door.

"y/n l/n?" an authoritative voice spoke. you whirled around, and were met with a police officer. you tilted your head.

"yes, ma'am?" you responded to her, growing worried. did ace get himself into some trouble... probably driving around like a maniac.

"i... need to speak with you outside."

as the police officer led you outside the building, there was ace, but he wasn't looking guilty. hell, his car looked fine and he wasn't even in cuffs! if anything, he wore a morose expression you'd never seen before.

"mx. l/n, this morning a call was received from the wuthering hills apartment buildings. it was reporting a gunshot. when police arrived, they found the body of... your supervisor, arthur fieldpool."

you felt your blood freeze over, and a pit had opened up in your stomach, swallowing you whole.

"i- what?!" you almost laughed. "arthur, he isn't dead! he was supposed to come in this morning, a-and announce his departure from the company today!" you cried out. the officer looked down, solemnly.

"mx. l/n, i know it may be difficult to believe, but we found a suicide note accompanying mr. fieldpool's body. everything checked out to rule it as a suicide," she explained. you shook your head.

"no, no, no. just yesterday, he spoke with me. he told me he was going to get help; he wanted to get better. my supervisor was a man of his word, especially in solemn moments such as that! if ar- mr. fieldpool said he was going to get better, he would have stuck to his word!" you shouted. another officer, a scrawny man, scribbled down notes on a pad.

"mx. l/n," the scrawnier officer spoke up, his voice cracking, "did you have any... personal... relationship with mr. fieldpool?" you gasped.

"no! how dare you ask me such a question, that man was a menace! i respected him as a boss, but i loathed him as a person!" you cried out. ace looked at you, begging you with his eyes to shut your mouth.

the officers looked at each other. "and," the man spoke up again, "was there any reason why you held such... disdain towards him?" you scoffed, crossing your arms.