chapter 9

"How was your ride?" Daphne asks as Alma enters the house.

Said girl blushes. "Charming. Lovely." She smiles. "He's a true gentleman."

After the awkward moment, they fell into easy conversation, just as they had done the night before and the first meeting they had. Alfie has realised he likes how loose-lipped Alma can be and Alma likes how blasé he seems. He truly doesn't care about much and it fascinates her.

"Do you care to share more?" Daphne giggles now walking beside Alma to her room.

"No." She grins. "I'd like to know how Simon reacted - he looked rather sour in the face."

"Oh, he was most surprised. I believe he went straight to Anthony to apologise for his behaviour in regards to how Anthony dealt with us." She giggles.

"He's done that a lot since I arrived huh."

Daphne giggles. "He has, Anthony is loving it."

Alma sits and flops back on her bed. "I think... I think I've experienced butterflies." She slowly admits.

Daphne squeals and claps. "Alma, oh that's wonderful!"

Alma sits up and scowls. "Is it? I think I am understanding what a rake is more and more and I don't think I'd much like to know one."

"Rakes are far more than their reputation. As far as rakes go? Alfie is a good one. Barely even qualifies." Daphne sits beside her and takes her hands. "Do you like him?"

"It is too early to tell." She shrugs small, knowing deep down that's a lie. She truly does like Alfie. A little too much.

"That's how I felt with Simon. I knew I shouldn't like him and I was certain I didn't. He was arrogant." She lays back and Alma does the same.

"I can't image that Simon." Alma admits as she closes her eyes.

"It's hard for me, too, but I assure you he was truly a beast. Misunderstood, that was the root of it all." Daphne closes her eyes, also. "He wanted to push everyone away, live only for his satisfaction. He never wanted to marry or have children or fall in love but we got into a sticky situation and had to. It didn't take long for me to have a good understanding of where his desires came from and see they weren't true. He was just afraid."

"Of being like our father?" Alma looks at Daphne'a face, her eyes closed still. She looks so young, probably how Simon remembers her.

"Precisely." Daphne looks over and smiles. "He is a remarkable man, even if I'm biased."

Alma smiles gently. "He is, I'll allow the bias."

Daphne sits up on her elbow. "Do promise me something..."

"Go on?" Alma raises a brow.

"Do not get caught up in it all. Alfie is but one boy you will meet this season. There are hundreds more. Do not fall for his charm and be forced to wed because of that." Daphne says gently. "It worked for me, sure, but a lot of cases turn out truly terrible."

Alma smiles small. "I promise. I have no room for tomfoolery in this brain." She taps her temple. "Not with all the reading, writing and arithmetic I must see to."

"I shall leave you be." Daphne squeezes her arm and makes her exit.

-

"Who are those for?" Alma asks as she comes downstairs a few days later.

Rue carries a big vase of lilies. "I think you should read the note." She smiles, setting them on a side to grab it and hold it out.

Alma takes it and unfolds it, reading at her slow pace. 'Dear Alma, please accept these as a gift to say thank you for your ride the other morning. I hope to find the time again soon to ride with you, or walk or even sit and drink blasted tea. Anything to talk once again. Your friend, Alfie'