chapter 7

"Now, London always seems big and scary, and trust me at times it will be, but it's also a wonderful place

"Now, London always seems big and scary, and trust me at times it will be, but it's also a wonderful place." Daphne promises as they ride in the carriage headed for London.

Alma nods small, swallowing the butterflies. "Simon says it'll be a lot of balls... Will I be invited?"

"Of course, it always extends to the household usually." She smiles. "Plus we shall be hosting at Hastings House at some point, probably a few times in the coming months."

Alma nods. "What is a season, then? I've heard you all speak of it but I'm not entirely sure what it means."

Daph smiles. "From around November until July, early August on occasion, it is custom for the elite families to join in social gatherings in a bid for Marital and business relationships to emerge." She explains. "November and December typically see some winter balls happening but not much occurs until March time. Then it becomes party central for families."

"Gosh. And how many can I expect to experience in the coming weeks?" She nervously wonders.

"I'm afraid I don't wish to scare you." Daphne smiles. "It's not truly as horrible as it sounds." She assures her, taking her hand across the carriage.

She exhales slowly and squeezes it. "Of course." She forces a smile. "Are your legs not asleep yet? Mine are." She jokes small as she looks down at Caroline asleep in her lap; David is the same way in Daphne's lap.

"Always." She giggles. "I do wonder if Simon has survived the journey with Amelia and Belinda."

Alma giggles small. "All day in a carriage with Amelia while she's fascinated by birds? He will surely be delighted."

Simon was not delighted. In fact, he truly had to test his patience and loves for his eldest. Though he adores her, she goes through more interests than any one he's ever met. Drawing, painting, birds, chess, reading, writing, sculpting, gardening, chemistry... thats just the last 3 months.

When they finally make it to London, its way past bedtime. He and Daphne take the children to their rooms before meeting in the hallways, sharing a kiss. "I missed you." He hums.

"And I you." She smiles up at him. "I do think Alma is terribly nervous." She confesses as they head to their bedchamber. All of them are off to bed for an early night.

"I assumed as much. We're still in a battle with her mother, she's not heard from her father in a while, she's only 6 weeks into her learning and now we're throwing a season at her." He sighs deeply. "It's an awful lot."

"I think she needs it, though. Plus she does not have to come to every single event, I reassured her it was if she felt comfortable." Daphne brushes her hair aside as Simon begins unbuttoning her dress.

He kisses her shoulder. "Perhaps I'll take her on a walk tomorrow. Let her have a look around."

"A lovely idea. For now, Mr Basset.. you're mine." Daphne giggles mischievously.