chapter 4

Simon watches the children play with their cousins, a smile on his face

Simon watches the children play with their cousins, a smile on his face. He's so very glad he chose to have children in the end, and that they grew up around other children and have the social skills he so lacked. He sort of envies his wife and family for how close they are as siblings; he almost hopes he and Alma can form some sort of bond in the future. No matter how long it takes.

He finally looks back to the letter he holds; the handwriting mirrors that of the letter received from Sebasting Worthing and Almas name is spelt 'a-L-m-A' in a way that his 5 year old David would. It is shockingly evident to him now how truly far apart they are. How truly different.

"What ails you?"

Simon looks away from the children outside, and the letter, and over to the door, Violet Bridgerton stood there. His mother in law, a literal angel. "I'm sure my wife has shared?"

She nods and stands by him. "A sister. That must be a shock? A good one perhaps."

He smiles small. "A huge one... and yes, I think a good shock. I feel, however, that she may be beyond help."

"Oh?" Violet raises a brow.

Simon sighs. "It sounds terribly rude, I am aware but... she's uneducated. Has no societal experience, she never leaves her farm. Am I doing more harm than good removing her from all she has known?"

"Not at all!" Violet rubs his arm. "From the sounds of it, you will be doing her a favour. And remember, this is a trial. Nothing is set in stone." She says gently.

"You're right." Simon pinches his nose as he rubs his tired eyes. "I've been stressing far too much, I'm sure I've been a bore all week."

"Only a little." She jokes. "Come, take me to say goodbye to my grandchildren." Simon links his arm with her and begins to head down. She smiles and holds his forearm. "You will be a wonderful brother, Simon; please don't ever doubt that. My children are lucky to have you as a bonus brother. Leave it to God and he shall do what is right."

Simon smiles gently. "Thank you, mother." He kisses her cheek gently.

Daphne comes to his side, taking his hand once her mother has walked away. "You shall sent word when you're on your way home, yes?"

He nods and tucks her hair back. "For the thousandth time, yes." He chuckles. "We'll be less than a day behind you."

"Good... please be careful." She pleads.

He smiles. "Always."

-

Alma folds her spare two skirts and a fresh shirt into her bag; well, her papas bag. Along with it she places her brush, her slippers and a nightgown. She truly doesn't own much and none of what she owns is suitable for a Duke's presence. God, her brothers presence. He is the Duke. Ha. Wow.

There's a tap at the door. "Are you ready? The Duke said noon." Sebastian leans in the doorway.

Alma smiles and nods. "As ready as I will ever be. Is mama..."