chapter 5

Alma lays in bed, staring at the ceiling as the first signs of light slink through the window and the light taps of rain assault it. She sighs slowly, still entirely overwhelmed. Yesterday she was allowed a day of rest which she leapt on after the journey the previous day. She met her brothers children, her nieces and nephew, she supposes. Amelia is 7, Belinda is 6, Caroline is 5 and David is 4. They must have their hands truly full, she realises.

It makes her nauseous to think that they've now taken her in when they have so much to handle already. Why would they want her in the way of their little family?

With a deep breath, she pushes herself out of bed and wanders to the window. She pushes the curtains aside and sits gently on the ledge, looking out at the rain. It would have been easier to have stayed at the farm... but despite all her worries? She can't regret trying. Trying to get out.

Out of the grips of her mother.

Out of the terrible marriages she's been forced to consider.

Out of the life of a bastard, in exile.

She never will get entirely free of that but she can try, right? And if Simon, her brother, can look past that fact then so can others. They don't have to know. Of course they all will but she's sure none of them would question a Duke. Especially her brother. He seems to have many, many loyal acquaintances. Including that Anthony, Daphne's brother.

There's a gently knock as her door and she looks over. "Come in." She hesitantly calls.

Daphne peaks around and smiles wide. "Good morning." She says happily, walking in already dressed so perfectly. "I bring a few gifts if that is okay with you."

Alma nods, smiling as she stands. "Of course. Who am I to refuse."

Daphne clears her throat and several maids come in carrying dresses. She watches Alma's eyes widen subtly as she sees the masses of fabrics and colours. "Now please don't think you have to wear any of these," She begins, "but I wanted you to have options. The things you brought are very beautifully made but you are so limited in choices and colours. Warmth, even." She explains. "These are some of my old ones, I believe they should fit with minimal alterations, and some are from my sisters and-"

"They're beautiful. And it's a truly thoughtful gift." Alma quickly says, smiling wide. She wanders over and touches the top dress one maid holds. "I worried about my attire... you can admit it isn't the best and for that I am sorry. This is truly a big help."

Daphne giggles small, covering her mouth. "Well... please don't be sorry. This estate, this room, this life - its all a big change." She shakes her head small. "A ginormous change."

Alma blushes. "Yes..." she takes a deep breath. "May I ask a favour of you ma'am? You've already helped so much but-"

"Of course! And, goodness, Alma, you may call me Daphne!" Daph laughs as it feels like she's said it a thousand times already. "Please, ask away."

Alma brushes deeply. "Daphne. Right. Yes." She clears her throat. "I... I have to admit that writing isn't a strong suit of mine and..." she hesitates.

"And?" She asks gently.

Alma swallows hard. "I'd like to write to my father but it's not easily done. Would you..."

"Help? Of course, absolutely!" Daphne giggles softly. "I'd be more than happy to help."

Alma blushes. "Thank you, Daphne." She says her name slowly still getting used to it. She's a duchess, for goodness sake - someone like Alma shouldn't be using her Christian name.

"I'll leave you to change but know breakfast is severed at 8 on the dot." She glances at the clock. "This is awfully rude of me to ask but-"

Alma shakes her head. "I can read the time. It's okay." She smiles.