chapter 6

'Dear Papa,
I will keep it short and sweet - my hand hurts from lessons. But I actually quite like it here. It has been only 12 days but... its nice. Homey. And Daphne is fast becoming one of my favourite people. Her family comes today for the week so I shall write with all my adventures.
Yours Alma'

Alma admires the letter for a moment before smiling wide, jumping up. "Simon!" She calls, rushing through the hall. "Daphne!" She calls.

She finds them both in his study; well, hears them. Whispering. Loudly.

"She's sixteen, Simon! Sixteen and neglected beyond belief!" Daphne snaps.

"I am fully aware!" He hisses. "But you read the letter! It would be in her best interest-"

"No! We cannot allow it!" Daphne growls. Alma didn't know a woman could make a noise like that, especially Daphne.

Simon sighs deeply. "Daph, darling, I am trying to fix this. Before it becomes a problem. She doesn't have to know it was set up."

"She deserves to know." Daphne says coldly. "I will tell her." She warns.

"I forbid it." He snaps.

"Like I care."

Alma realises she should probably rush to hide as she hears footsteps coming. She quickly rushes back to her room, closing the door as her heart races. What on earth was that? She sits back at the vanity and looks at the letter, her previous joy at writing her first letter long gone. Does she even want to send it now?

No, she decides as she scrunches it up. Something isn't right, doesn't feel right. She looks back at the door and hesitates. Should she confront them? Ask? But that would surely get her in trouble. She should not have been listening. What if they are mad? What if she's punished? Mother warned that a Duke would have high expectations and no room for tomfoolery. And, mother had also warned, he'd likely punish severely for disobedience.

Not that she could imagine Simon punishing her. But then again, he was still a stranger...

"Miss Alma!?" Rue asks in shock as she finds Alma shaking, tears on her cheeks.

Alma looks over, not realising the state of herself. "Wh-what?"

Rue rushes over and kneels, taking the girls hands. "Goodness me, what on earth has happened?" She asks gently.

Alma swallows hard and shakes her head. "I'm so pathetic I'm sorry." She nervously laughs.

Rue frowns deeply. "Not ever!" She scolds kindly. "Has something happened?"

Alma shakes her head and exhales slowly. "I'm afraid I got into my own thoughts... a place I do not like to go." She whispers and forces a smile, gripping Rue's hands. "Really, I am okay."

Rue goes to say something when there's a knock at the door. "Alma?" Simon calls.

Alma subconsciously tenses, Rue feeling it. She frowns deeply and quickly answers. "She's not decent, my lord. Is it urgent?" She calls.

"Um..." Simon is stumped by that. She was decent an hour ago at breakfast so why not now... "No. Alma, come find me when you're done?" He asks.

"I'll ensure she does, sir." Rue calls.

Alma takes a shaky breath. "Rue..." she whispers.

Rue looks at her gently. "Yes ma'am?"

"Is... is the Duke as kind as you s-say?" She whispers. "I think he is. I kn-now he is. But..."

"But?" She asks gently. When Alma doesn't respond, she sighs. "Do you fear he won't be?" Alma nods. "Did you do something you think he'll be mad at?"

Alma slowly nods. "Yes... I overheard a conversation I don't think I had any right to." She admits, eyes fearful.