Fourteen

Light crept in through the window, illuminating the room around Caitlyn as she hid herself underneath the soft covers. She stretched out softly and let out a soft yawn, feeling better rested than she had felt in the two weeks since she had been shot. Her eyes fluttered open and she let out a soft breath as she remembered where she was. She sat up suddenly and looked at her phone, seeing that it was nearly nine in the morning. She jumped up and quickly got dressed, hurrying out into the living room. She stopped suddenly when she saw that the room was empty. She felt her heart sink and she moved her way into the kitchen, seeing Thomas staring eagerly out the window.

"He isn't back?" She asked softly, causing him to jump slightly. He turned to look at her and shook his head grimly. Caitlyn ran a hand through her hair as her mind reeled.

"Then we need to go out and find him," she said suddenly.

"Caitlyn, we can't go out there yet. Not until we know it's safe or..."

"Or what? Until we know they're dead? I'm not waiting that long, I just found my brother, I'm not losing him again." She turned suddenly to walk out the door. Thomas stood quickly and gently grabbed her by the wrist.

"God, you are the most stubborn woman I've ever met," he muttered.

"Yeah, well you've met my brother, you know where I get out from."

"Caitlyn, please... if your brother is alive, he'd never forgive me for letting you go out there."

"And what if he's dead?" She whispered breathlessly. Thomas stared deeply into her eyes and let out a soft breath.

"Th-then there's nothing we can do anyways..." Caitlyn pulled her arm away from him suddenly as a tear slipped down her cheek. She opened her mouth to say something, but her words fell short and nothing escaped.

A sudden knock sounded on the front door, causing both of them to jump. Thomas instinctively stepped infront of Caitlyn as his hand hovered over the gun in his pants. Another knock sounded and he drew his weapon, taking a cautious step forward.

"Get away from the window and get down," he whispered, stepping toward the front door. He crept forward slowly as Caitlyn hid behind the living room wall. She peered out from the corner, watching intently; ready to run at a moment's notice. Thomas began unlocking the door, glancing quietly at the younger girl before pulling the door open and raising his gun. He let out a sudden breath of relief and lowered his weapon, stepping aside. Caitlyn sighed in relief as she saw Brendon and Dylan lead the rest of the group inside. Caitlyn hurried forward and hugged her brother tightly.

"Hey," he said softly. "You okay?" She just nodded in response and pulled away from him, slapping him on the arm.

"I thought something happened to you," she scolded.

"I'm sorry," he muttered.

"Where's everyone else?" Thomas asked, surveying the group. Caitlyn turned suddenly and let out a soft breath as she looked over the small group. She stopped short when she made eye contact suddenly with Luke.

"This is it. The rest of us are injured or..." Urie trailed off as he stared blankly at the wall.

"Ed's dead," Calum said. "And Robbie's in critical condition... Grant and Taylor are with him."

"A few others from the old alliance heard the gunshots and tried to help, but they didn't make it either," Brendon added. Caitlyn sighed softly and looked down at her feet.

"I'm so sorry," she muttered. "I feel like this is all my fault-"

"This isn't your fault," Dylan said, putting his hand on her shoulder. "There's a lot at play... we still don't know why they're so hell bent on trying to kill you. At first we thought they were just trying to get back at me for starting the alliance, but this group has done plenty to piss them off. None of this is on you."