Four

Twinkling lights dazzled across the ceiling, sending a soft shine over the dark restaurant. Quiet music played from a nearby string quartet, but it was slightly drowned out by the bustling conversations around them. Caitlyn sat across from Nick, smiling at their fingers that sat intertwined in the center of the table. She picked quietly at her meal, listening as he spoke about his day.

"I feel like I've been talking about myself for hours," he chuckled lightly. "How was your first day at work?" Caitlyn took in a deep breath, feeling his thumb brush against the back of her hand as she thought through her day.

"It was average, really..." she muttered. "I met most of my coworkers, except for a group who, apparently, went away to an editor's retreat. At least, that's what Luke said when I asked about all of the empty cubicles. I'm not sure what that is... Other than that, I really just... edited stuff. Thrilling, I know." Nick laughed softly and looked nervously down at the table.

"Sounds like you had a very exciting day," he whispered, glancing across the restaurant as a group walked in.

"How was your day?" she asked. "Outside of your countless 'garbage meetings'?" she quoted back to him. He let out another soft laugh before looking back at her.

"Honestly, it was a little boring," he admitted. "But that does remind me... I have a meeting late tomorrow, I don't know if I can drive you home; unless you want to wait for a while?"

"No, it's fine," she said, offering him a sincere smile. "I'll just walk home. It's not that far, and these are probably going to be the last nice days of the year before winter hits."

"Are you sure?" he asked. "I don't like the idea of you going home on your own..."

"I'll be fine," she replied, giving his hand a gentle squeeze. "I'm a big girl. I can take care of myself." Nick sighed but nodded in response. He lifted her hand and pressed a soft kiss against it.

"I know you can," he muttered, staring deeply into her brown eyes. Caitlyn gave him a soft smile, feeling her heart melt as she looked at the warmth in his hazel eyes. Their hands rested in the center of the table as he fidgeted gently with her fingers. He looked down at their hands suddenly and took in a deep breath. Caitlyn's eyebrows furrowed slightly as she stared at him, sensing his sudden nerves.

"Are you alright?" she asked, breaking him out of his thoughts.

"Yeah... fine," he muttered, looking back up at her. "Actually, perfect. I've just... I've never done this before," he whispered as a soft blush painted his cheeks.

"Done what before?" she asked, feeling her own nerves beginning to spike. Nick let out a sudden chuckle as he stared at the younger girl, running his fingers through his hair before dropping her hand. He reached into his jacket pocket and pulled out a small black box with a steady tremor in his hands. He glanced around the restaurant nervously before standing from his seat and kneeling down in front of her, one knee pressed to the floor. Caitlyn felt her heart leap into her throat as her hands clasped over her mouth.

"Cait," he said in a low voice. People turned to stare at the couple, but Caitlyn couldn't take her eyes away from the man in front of her. "You are the greatest thing that's ever happened to me. I love you more than anything, and I know I'm not great at long speeches, but I've known from the moment we met that you're the only girl for me. Will you make me the happiest man alive and marry me?" Caitlyn felt her heart beating its way out of her chest as she stared at her boyfriend. People were whispering around them, yet she couldn't hear them. Her brother's voice shouted in her mind, begging her not to do it; which was the final tipping point.

"Of course, I will," she said breathlessly. Nick sighed in relief, slipping the ring on her finger before pulling her into a passionate kiss. Scattered applause sounded around them as they pulled away, laughing and resting their foreheads together. "I love you," she whispered as a tear slid down her cheek.