Chapter 14: The sacrifices.

(Amy)

"Knuckles, are you okay?" I continuously asked while following Knuckles.
He was hovering far above the ground, completely silent and expressionless, but sure of where he was going.
I was below him, with the bag of emeralds in hand. We only needed one more.
Every time I asked him, he would nod slightly, but he wouldn't even turn to look at me.
I still remember when he trained me when we were younger. It's been 6 years since I met him, and he was always quite aloof, but he and I had a special teacher-disciple relationship. I consider him one more friend, but... how will he consider me?
We finally found the last of the generators.
Knuckles stopped gliding and landed on his feet in front of the generator.
For the first time since we began our mission, he spoke, but I heard sadness in his voice.

"Hit the generator. It doesn't matter if they break."

I looked into his eyes. They were swollen from crying. Tears were still flowing. I noticed how his breathing was choppy.

"Knuckles, you're not well."

"I don't want to put anyone else in danger. Espio almost drowned in the lake because I got distracted, and I wasn't quick enough to catch him. Good thing I punched the tentacle."

"Don't worry, everything will be fine, and we won't die for good!"

"Amy, really. I didn't want you to come here for fear something might happen to you."

"Nothing will happen to us! You and I have a similar way of fighting! After all, you taught me how to fight!"

Suddenly, numerous black-eyed Sonics appeared. They quickly surrounded us, but I knew exactly what to do.

"Knuckles, glide over to the generator and get the emerald! I'll handle these!"

I took out my hammer and bashed all those copies while Knuckles went for the last gem.
He tossed it into the air once he had it, and I caught it deftly.
I raised the hammer once more, bag in hand, but suddenly something grabbed my hammer and lifted me off the ground.

"Knuckles! What are you doing?! Put me down!" I yelled at Knuckles.

"I'm so sorry...Win for me." he muttered.

With a brute force that characterized him, he pulled me away from that horde of copies, forcing me to leave him behind.

"KNUCKLES!! COME HERE!! KNUCKLES PLEASE!!" I cried.
I dropped my hammer far, but I still fell several miles away. I couldn't see Knuckles anywhere.
Fortunately, it was an area we had been through before.

"Knuckles! KNUCKLES!" I ran back to the generator.
Lots of devilish Sonics were surrounding something, with a pool of blood under their feet. I could hear the sound of ripping flesh, but no screaming.
With my hammer, and without any remorse that they were copies of Sonic, I hit all of the copies, which disintegrated into a black powder.
I finished off all of them, and set my sights on Knuckles. Or rather, what was left of him.
Half the skin on his face had been torn away. But his face reflected no pain, but... peace. Something I saw on his face a few times.
I lifted him off the ground and sat him up, resting his back on the generator.
As I watched him bleed out, completely motionless, I began to think about when we were children.
My theories with tarot cards, his stories about the island...
A few tears slipped down my cheeks. He had just sacrificed himself to save me and some gems.