Chapter 17: Tris and Four - Abnegation Love

Lynn escorted me and Tobias into the Dauntless Compound. She told us that they would be meeting with the Dauntless Leader momentarily. She went down the hallway, took a right and before I could ask her where she was going, I heard the door close shut behind her, leaving a loud clanking noise bounce off the walls in the hall.

"Tobias--" she began.

He put his fingers to my lips to shush me and then he wrapped his arms around the small of my back. "Beatrice, everything is going to be fine. I won't let anything happen to you."

I looked at him with glossy eyes. I was biting my lip to keep myself from crying. I didn't want Tobias to see cry. It showed that I was weak. I am not weak.

"Promise?"

Tobias bent down so that his eyes were level with mine. All I wanted to do was pull him down over me and kiss him, but that wasn't very Abnegation like. I still couldn't grasp the idea that Tobias and I had left Abnegation. We were considered faction less.

"I promise." He pressed his lips on the center of my forehead. Casually, I moved my head away from him and stood on the toes, placing a kiss against his lips. I felt him freeze. I knew he wasn't expecting me to do this, but he soon recovered from his shock and gripped the belt loops on my jeans with his fingers, pulling me closer to him. I could feel his heart hammering against my chest.

"Lynn said your from Abnegation. I've never seen an Abnegation do that." I pushed myself off of Tobias and looked up to see a boy who looked about my age standing before us. His hands were crossed against his abdomen and he was wearing all black. "I'm Zeke."

Tobias tore his gaze from me and focused his attention on the boy, Zeke.

"Hello, I'm--" he began, but Zeke cut through his words like a butter knife slicing a chocolate cake.

"Tobias Eaton. You're Marcus's son." Zeke was grinning at Tobias as if he were a meal.

"Unfortunately that's true," Tobias said. His eyes were fixated on the ground, not meeting Zeke's eyes.

"I'm the Dauntless leader," Zeke told us.

"Dauntless leader?" I asked. "You're not much older than I."

Zeke laughed and walked a couple paces toward me. He placed his hand against my chin. His hands were ice cold against my skin, sending shivers down my spine. I cringed and out of the corner of my eye I could see Tobias shudder slightly.

"Age is just a number stiff," he said. His eyes flickered in Tobias's direction and he quickly walked away from me. "We'd like to ask you a couple questions before we welcome you into our Compound."

"We'll answer anything for you," I said a little too eagerly. Oddly enough, everything that I said seemed to make Zeke laugh. "I'm glad I amuse you," I mumbled.

Zeke shook his head so his hair covered his eyes like a curtain. "No. You'll tell me everything because you have to. We've got truth serum and we're dying to try it out."

"Truth serum? I never knew the Dauntless acquired that. Isn't that only Candor's specialty?" he asked Zeke. A look of confusion and irritation was written all over his face.

"We can be very persuasive sometimes," Zeke told us. He gestured us to come follow him into his office and we followed him without question. "Please, sit." He demanded.

Tobias sat down first and I sat beside him. I clasped my hands tightly together to keep them from shaking.

Zeke went behind his desk and pulled out a black box. As he opened it, I caught sight of a shiny object. It contained two needles, one for Tobias and one for me.

"Who's first?" Zeke asked, cleaning the needle carefully with his handkerchief.

"I will," Tobias said and he stood up.

"The injection site is in your neck. You aren't afraid of needles, right?" Zeke asked.

Tobias didn't respond. He lifted his neck toward Zeke as if to say 'Go ahead'.

I close my eyes, so all I hear is Zeke as he applied antiseptic to his skin. Zeke plunges the needle into Tobias's neck, squeezing the foggy, bluish liquid into his veins.