Bonus Chapter 14: All Worth It

Start from the beginning

Lexi.

She was with Justin, but he could only focus on her in stunned silence, taking in her appearance like a gulp of air. He had underestimated her value in his life, he realised, as he looked at her. Gazing at her now, he felt the raging grief extinguish like a mere candle flame in the presence of her. He couldn't think of his sadness not when she was there like a warm hand on a winter's night.

After another bout of silence, Justin cleared his throat, turning to Aaron.

"Can we come in?" He asked, gesturing to the inside of the house and Aaron could sense the terseness in his tone. It made him feel worry and he nodded numbly before moving aside and allowing them entry.

Aaron couldn't help but feel his heart clench when he saw Justin holding Lexi's arm as they walked in towards the living room. He couldn't explain the emotions he felt then but all he could do was stare at the unexpected physical contact. Justin, the man who was averse to touch, holding Lexi so nonchalantly made him stiffen, but he did his best to appear casual, focusing more on what they apparently wanted to share with him.

"Something up?" Aaron questioned, looking between the two. He tried to hide the tepid fear in his voice as he looked at them together, but it only increased when Justin turned to look at Lexi.

His Lexi.

He dismissed the stupid thought. This was his best friend and Lexi, two people he thought dearly of. There wouldn't be anything going on.

Would there?

It was only when Lexi sighed, choosing to look down at the ground, that he felt concern fill him. Was something up with her? The instinctive protectiveness made him move forward.

"Lexi, is something wrong?" He asked worriedly to which she said nothing, still looking down. It only increased his concern and he moved closer to her.

"Lexi?" He questioned again and he felt his chest warm as he saw her moving closer to him. Maybe she too had missed him. The hope filled him like a soaring kite.

"Aaron, what I wanted to say was that..." She began and he nodded, encouraging her to continue. She could share anything with him; that was his role in life.

They were only a few inches apart now and the urge to hold her was insatiable, but he held it in, wanting to hear what she had to say.

"Your well-being, Aaron. I wanted to know if you're okay now." I lied, smiling up at him with as much vigor as Raven in the morning.

He could tell she was lying and that it was something else, but he conceded, knowing he'd only make her tell if she was comfortable.

"I'm fine, Lexi." He said, folding his arms across his chest as he waited for her to speak again. The curiosity to know what saddened him was far too great to shake away.

She moved closer to where he was stood, pulling him down on the sofa with a gentle touch. He reveled in the feel of her soft caress like a man deprived.

"Are you telling the truth?" She suddenly asked, searching his eyes. He felt lost in her gaze but even more so in her words. Her eyes held so much care for him right now that he dismissed her cold gaze when they fought. She had to have cared for him to look at him this way. It made him smile and, this time, he truly couldn't fight the urge as he learned forward and kissed her lips gently before sitting back.

"I'm fine, Lexi. Trust me." He said, trying to reassure her, but in actuality he wanted to lean in to kiss her again.

Before he could, however, Justin spoke up, moving closer.