Chapter 10: "I don't think we have to hate each other, Zuko."

Start from the beginning

We reached the bottom, and Zuko began to speak. "Uncle, I want the repairs made as quickly as possible. I don't want to stay too long and risk losing his trail." 

I nodded. "He's getting harder to track the longer we delay it," I replied. Zuko nodded in agreement.

"You mean the Avatar?" Iroh responded disinterestedly and unawarely.

Zuko sharply turned towards him, and I shook my head in defeat. "Don't mention his name on these docks! Once word gets out that he's alive, every firebender will be out looking for him, and I don't want anyone getting in the way!"

"Getting in the way of what, Prince Zuko?"

We all simultaneously whipped our heads around to see a familiar figure. I sighed, "Zhao." He began to walk over to us.

Zuko begrudgingly greeted him with disdain in his voice, "Captain Zhao."

Zhao smirked, and the simple action made me want to jump into the ocean. 

"It's commander now. And General Iroh, great hero of our nation," Zhao said, bowing in Iroh's direction. Iroh bowed back. 

"Retired General," he responded humbly. Zhao then turned to me.

"How could I forget my favourite face? It's a pleasure to meet you once more, Laina Xu," He said slyly. There were so many nice words spoken, but not one of them was kind. I scowled, but Iroh looked at me with a warning. 

I resentfully bowed and responded, "Always a lovely surprise bumping into you, Commander," I said through gritted teeth.

"The Fire Lord's brother, son, and best tracker are welcome guests anytime. What brings you to my harbour?" Zhao asked scepticism in his eyes.

"Our ship is being repaired." Iroh gestured to the metal monstrosity of our ship, it being noteably damaged.

"That's quite a bit of damage," Zhao remarked.

"Yes! You wouldn't believe what happened." Zuko glanced at his uncle for help. "Uncle! Tell Commander Zhao what happened," Zuko asked, failing to come up with an explanation. Iroh looked nervous being put on the spot.

"Yes. I will do that," He declared, taking an awfully long time. He retold the 'story' enthusiastically. "It was incredible!" He remarked. Iroh then, out of the corner of his mouth, asked Zuko, "What, did we crash or something?" His tone was unsure. Zuko perked up.

"Yes! Into a..." Zuko trailed off, not being able to come up with anything. 

They looked at me for help. I jumped up; now I was on the spot. "Uh-huh! Into an... Earth kingdom ship! Boy, was it crazy!" I laughed nervously, and Iroh and Zuko followed suit.

Zuko leant over and whispered in my ear. "Boy, was it crazy!?" He echoed back, disappointed in my strange manner when I lied. I just kicked him quietly in the ankle, urging him to shut up.

"Really? You must regale me with all of the thrilling details. Join me for a drink?" Zhao suggested. Zuko was not interested in a cup of tea, nor was I.

"I'm Sorry, but we have to go," Zuko said plainly. I nodded, ready to walk back to the ship. 

Zuko began to take a few steps, but Iroh stopped him in his tracks. "Prince Zuko, show Commander Zhao your respect. We would be honoured to join you. Do you have any ginseng tea? It's my favourite." Iroh decided.

I hoped I could still get away.

"Sounds like a real boy's hangout. I wouldn't want to intrude with my excessive amounts of femininity," I said dryly, turning to walk away. Zuko looked at me in betrayal, salty that I got out and he didn't.

Or so I thought.

"Oh, I don't discriminate, Laina Xu. Have some ginseng tea with us," Zhao said. I turned around, ready to make up another excuse. "Ginseng makes me sneeze and-" Iroh shot me a menacing look, practically forcing me to show respect and have some tea. "On second thought, have any jasmine?" I said, succumbing to my fate.

Zuko snickered, and I shot him a dangerous glare.

We walked towards the tent.

It was incredibly boring having tea in that tent

It was incredibly boring having tea in that tent. I swished around the loose tea leaves, having drained the cup ages ago in a nervous state. I tuned into the conversation.

"... And by the year's end, the Earth Kingdom capital will be under our rule. The Fire Lord will finally claim victory in this war." Zhao claimed. I thought it was fantasy. Nothing would happen that quickly. Zuko and I sat down at the table whilst Zhao looked at his map and Iroh studied some weapons in the corner

"If my father thinks the rest of the world will follow him willingly, then he is a fool!" Zuko remarked. Zhao pulled up alongside Zuko.

"Two years at sea have done little to temper your tongue," Zhao said. Zuko only scowled. 

"I would have expected your snippy tracker to have made that remark, or have you managed to keep her in line?" Zhao slyly observed.

I angrily began to get up, but Zuko placed a hand on my shoulder, telling me to stop. I looked at him, fuming, and rolled my eyes, sitting back down. I drank the last bits (and by bits, I mean leaves) of my tea.

"So, how is your search for the Avatar going?" Zhao asked in a nonchalant manner.

Iroh knocked down a rack of weapons, and I inhaled my tea. I began to cough, eyes wide.

"Eh... My fault, entirely." Iroh apologised.

Zhao stalked around us, an evil look on his face. I gulped, feeling very watched. "We haven't found him yet," Zuko said aggressively. I fiddled with my bracelet.

"Did you really expect to? The Avatar died a hundred years ago. Along with the rest of the airbenders. Unless you have found some evidence that the Avatar is alive?"

Zuko looked to Zhao, calm. "No, nothing," He said dryly.

"Prince Zuko, the Avatar, is the only one who can stop the Fire Nation from winning this war. If you have an ounce of loyalty left, you'll tell me what you found." Zhao said.

Zuko grew impatient, and the room felt very tense. "I haven't found anything. It's like you said. The Avatar probably died a long time ago. Come on, we're going," Zuko said. I got up, but Zuko stopped at the tent's door. A soldier entered the tent to relay information.

"Commander Zhao, we interrogated the crew as you instructed. They confirmed Prince Zuko had the Avatar in custody but let him escape." 

I swore under my breath, and Zhao smirked. He leant down into Zuko's ear and said, "Now, remind me, how exactly was your ship damaged?"