باب اُنیسواں

سانوں نہر آلے پُل تے بُلا کہ
نی سوہنا ماہی کیتھے رہ گیا؟

٭

Chapter 19 : Kasam hai

Sniffing as her fingers worked by the minute, sliding off the bangles she wore with full force. Hot tears melted against her skin. Coughs escaped her cracked lips as she slid down, falling on to the bed with her hands digging into the mattress. The feathers spilt out as her nails pierced through—the maddening fury unhidden from the objects inside the room. Wiping, almost swatting at the tears she slapped her warm cheeks in agony. Breathing with an indisputable pain.

Her feet kicked off the embroidered shoes and the shawl that weighed down on her shoulders came off next. Freeing her from the claustrophobic hold. The skin above her ribs was blistering and her lungs underneath had frozen from the pain. Even the chilly air that froze the burning fire did not touch her delicate kiss as she rubbed her fingers against her lips. Throwing the earrings that had been her pride on to the ground. Letting the glass of her bangles collide with the floor.

The bedroom was dealt with. A deep ebony shadow cruised through the bedroom, following the dry cool air, a thick fog had come in too. Even inside the small space visibility had run low. Only the thick blanket of fog and shadows slithered and whispered words of a language no living being was frequent with. Thrums and howls of the beasts outside whizzed inside, vibrating the walls and the floors, untapped energies perfumed in through. The tiny pores that were left untouched smelt of the previous, lost, agonies.

Outside the moon basked in it's full glow behind the curtain of clouds and branches of leaves painted a flustered green. Sparkling stars illuminated the deep blue sky like a painting of a maestro. Dusting the still waters of the Qurban river with their might, raising it to a glimmering platform. Like diamonds — a plenty. It's untouched silveriness paled in comparison to the shades of the carnal pleasures that flew amongst the branches. The lazily lounging birds with their spent spirits crooned at the ghosts which skittered through.

Amongst it all—the howling cries of the newly wed bride gathered the attention of man and beast both. Though only the beasts and animals that dwelled beneath the grass of her bedroom window came to hear her out. Man turned it's back towards her.

Sliding her palms against her wet cheeks, the harshness turned it's suppleness an ugly red. Under the light of the candle that she had burnt to keep her company painted her skin in an even ghastly pattern. The hollows of her eye — the deep under eye bags and all merged on to her face. Golnar pulled her legs against her chest, wrapping her arms around them in a tired fatigue, she pressed her cheek against her kneecap. Absentmindedly she ran her finger down the crisp pleats of her trouser, sliding on to her bare skin before repeating the pattern.

Like a broken record.

Golnar's eyes hurt as she squeezed them shut. A dull throb swam in her forehead and knocked on to the front of it. Even the sides had turned to jello, the joints of her fingers ached from the taut grip she had over things. Pinching her skin under her nails, swallowing the ferocious blazing of her own imagination she peeled her eyes open. Staring at the barren wall opposite her. Twisting her toes.

Agha ji had been kind enough to drive her from the filth laden place. He had not asked her any question as she sat in the back seat — sobbing. Not even a cough as he drove her back to her husband's home. His hands had been tied at his waist and he had nodded with great faith as she spoke through broken coughs and hiccups. Instructing him that they would leave for Islamabad soon as daylight struck the horizon.