𝐈𝐈. 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐇𝐈𝐆𝐇 𝐏𝐑𝐈𝐄𝐒𝐓𝐄𝐒𝐒

«...To think about it, you spend years on planning out the whole thing, uncountable time, to realise that it's going to be brought to life in less than a month. How terrifyingly beautiful it is, to feel the satisfaction fill your veins, while you...»

— A snippet from Drusilla Tyrell's diary.

• 

It is unpleasantly scary, to feel that someone is interested in your personality or in your life, Aegon realises, when Drusilla continues to listen to him for a few hours, with no disgust or tiredness. She hums and gasps on certain parts, though, but as her hand slightly pats his shoulder in the act of support, Aegon knows that she is not judging him.

He thinks he forgot when was the last time something like this happened.

'You... You shouldn't really, well, pity me,' he says to her forwardly, glancing in her eyes. 'Perhaps, you don't know but people in there hate me, dear Silla.'

Drusilla raises her thin brows, surprised. And he couldn't help but wonder how after everything she heard from him, she still doesn't understand the gravity of the situation he is in.

'Oh? Why would they?'

'Because I am a disgrace to my own family,' his lips turn high in the smile, and he continues bitterly. 'You know, my company will bring nothing good to you. How can a drunkard and a man who spends time with whores can be a good friend?'

It is obvious that Aegon's reputation never reached the Highgardens. Either way, someone like Drusilla wouldn't spend time around him. So... So he shall warn her himself, just so she could run away before he allows himself to think that someone cares for him. And before his mother does so for him, because she would be much harsher with words.

'Oh,' she mutters. 'You know, my sweet Augustus always says this - every person is like a coin. Have two sides. But the thing is... Ah, how he said that... Ah, he thinks that these sides depend on every person... Like... A thousand people will toss a coin, and everyone will catch like different sides... I mean...' Drusilla sighs, rubbing her forehead, desperately. 'Please, say that you understand me.'

Wow, Drusilla, just like him, must be the least interested in philosophy... Aemond would be so disappointed.

But, surprisedly, Aegon understands what she means.

'And?'

'And, I mean, some people saw this side of you. The one that is always in brothels, and doing... Stuff,' he laughs from how she tries not to use rude words, the lady at its finest. 'But I saw the opposite side. I still see the boy, who played with me and my brother. I still see him in you, but he simply became... More lonely.'

His breath stutters.

'Wh–'

'I am sorry... I think it is unfair... Me and Augustus left you, after all. Never wrote anything after we parted our ways, and... Well, I feel responsible,' Drusilla tells him, with sincere sadness in her blue orbs. 'Aegon. You are still my friend. Even if you don't think so. And... You can do so much better! Don't listen to anyone, alright?'

'I...'

It must be the nicest thing Aegon had ever heard about himself. For his own life, truly.

He could say his eyes prickling, and heart feels uneasy, the desire to cry on Drusilla's shoulder is almost too irresistible. But he manages to hold himself in place, somehow, though he gladly accepts the handkerchief she offers him.

'You know, Silla... You should tell your brother that you want to marry someone, who is not Targaryen.' Aegon advises her slowly.

Drusilla blinks at him numbly.