𝐈. 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐌𝐀𝐆𝐈𝐂𝐈𝐀𝐍

«List of Interests.

1. Alicent Hightower.

What she has: Influence on her kids, respect from Aemond.

What she lacks: a friend.

2. Aegon Targaryen, the Second.

What he has: whores and constant physical contact.

What he lacks: a person to understand him.

3. Aemond Targaryen.

What he has: power to his name and knowledge.

What he lacks: emotional support, someone to trust».

— From Drusilla Tyrell's memoirs that were written in an unknown language.

'Augustus Tyrell demands for a month. A month during which you and Drusilla Tyrell will communicate constantly, and if by the end of it, you will be satisfied by the company of each other, the marriage will be agreed,' Alicent explains over the breakfest, while glancing at still sleepy and slow from hangover Aegon. 'Aemond, did you hear me?'

He sips the tea indifferently.

'Yes, mother.'

'Good,' she nods, massaging her temples. 'And one more thing. During this month you both will be obligated to share chambers.'

Aemond almost spills the tea on his table, eye widening. That sounds absolutely vulgar.

'Excuse me?'

'It is a very old tradition from the Highgarden,' his grandfather interrupts apathetically, watching at Aegon with unhidden disgust. 'A gesture that shows how a woman trusts her chosen one. That she is clear on her intentions and pure. It also means that she believes that her future husband is respectful enough not to do anything.'

Apparently, Tyrells are strongly loyal to their traditions. It is something Aemond didn't expect, always thinking that their house is the most impure one, but seeing how they valued little traditions, remembering how Drusilla spoke yesterday, made him doubt that his opinion was correct.

'Well. That is fine for me,' he answers after a long pause.

Duty is duty, he reminds himself.

'Am I the only one who thinks that it is so strange that Drusilla and Augustus are friends now?' Aegon cuts the blissful silence with a mouth full of bread. 'I mean, not only did their marriage get called out without any reasons, but also they are so friendly with each other suddenly. And I clearly remember how Drusilla always cried that her brother was mean to her, when we were kids.'

Though it was Aegon, who befriended her that time, Aemond too remembers it. A certain someone used to tell him about it, how awfully complicated their story was. Yet, his brother is correct - they danced merrily together yesterday, sharing wide smiles and hushed laughs.

'It must be a shock for you, but some siblings try to mend their relationship,' Aemond hums coldly, not even looking at Aegon.

'Yeah,' he huffs. 'And some siblings are not arrogant twats.'

Alicent gasps, scandalised, and a mighty hit lands on Aegon's head.

'Oh,' Helaena says suddenly, face becoming softer. 'Aegon, talking bad about yourself is not a healthy thing. Be nice to yourself, please.'