Chapter 7- Quiet night

Sapphire POV

It's been a few hours since our run in with Tyrian. We decided to get away from the town ruins as fast as possible, setting up camp for the night about 10 km away from town.

It was quiet around the campfire, Qrow had just finished briefing us all about the Maidens and about how Pyrrha was selected to be one, but the fall of beacon ruined that plan.

Qrow took a swig from his flask while letting out a whine of pain as he adjusted himself to rest against the log he was sitting on. Ruby and I were able to bandage up the wound he received from Tyrian's stinger, but we have no clue if the attack might have been poisoned or not.

Qrow: Really? No questions?

Jaune: Of course we have questions. This is just... a lot to take in.

Sapphire: Yeah.. you can't blame us for being dumbfounded after finding out an old fairytale has been real this whole time.

Qrow: (sighs) Sure, Of course.

Ruby: So these... Maidens... They're powerful fighters that don't need Dust to use magic?

Qrow: Yeah.

Nora: And there are four of them?

Qrow: Yup, always.

Olivia: and they've existed for many centuries?

Qrow: Yeah, no one knows who the first maidens were.

Ren: Which means that, whenever one of them dies, the power transfers to someone - a female - that they cared about?

Qrow: Whoever was in their thoughts last. Important distinction. Best option is someone we can trust. Regardless, their souls become combined, in a way.

Jaune: And that's what you were trying to do to Pyrrha... the night the tower fell. You were trying to turn her into one of them.

Jaune slowly clenched his first as the thought of Pyrrha and the fall of beacon began to plague him. Ruby reached over and rested her hand on top of his, causing him to relax.

Qrow: The previous Fall Maiden, Amber, had been attacked. She was young, inexperienced. And her assailant, who we now know is Cinder, somehow managed to steal some of her power, but not all of it. We were afraid that if we didn't do something, the rest would go to her as well.

Jaune: (glaring at Qrow) So you forced it on Pyrrha.

Qrow: (ignoring Jaune's glare) We didn't force anything. We explained the situation and gave her the choice, and she chose. You were there, you heard her.

Ruby: (leans forward) That guy, Tyrian - why was he after me?

Qrow: (sighs) Well, you definitely painted a target on your back with what you did at Beacon. I told you having silver eyes is a rare trait. And the fact that you were able to use them seems to have upset some very powerful people. Not many people know about the silver eyes.

Sapphire: (looks between Ruby and Qrow) what's so special about her silver eyes?

Qrow seemingly avoided the question, leaving you unsure if he doesn't know himself or if he just doesn't want to say.

Qrow: (continuing) Those that do aren't very happy that one has surfaced. That's why I've been keeping an eye on you in order to make sure you were safe. All of you.

Ruby: Well, then, why not just travel with us? It seems like that would've been way easier.

Jaune scoffs as he turns his back to everyone, facing away from the fire as he looks out into the dark forest.