Chapter 37: The Real Enemy

Recap:

"Just wanted to be near you," I tell him, he then had a very smug face "Hey! Weren't you the one who said you couldn't stand being away from me?"

"You're cute when you're mad," he tells me with a slight chuckle

Present:

Y/N's POV:

I woke up with my leaning against Tom. He looked at peace. I didn't have to worry about class because the class was canceled for the rest of the week. I then heard Tom yawn, it was good that he was awake because I had to tell him what Headmaster Dippet told me.

"Good morning, Tom. We have no time to waste," I tell him as I got up "Headmaster Dippet said that I have twenty-four hours to find solid proof, but that was six hours ago, so we only have eighteen hours left,"

"You went to see him last night?" he asks 

"Of course, the faster we find out that you are not a crazy psychopathic murderer the better," I tell him "I know you are not the murderer for a fact. The ring,"

"What does the ring have to do with this?" he asks

"The ring you have on is a color-changing one, the one they found does not. Therefore someone is obviously framing you," I tell him "Who would murder three innocent students and frame you? And what is their motive?"

I then took out a parchment and tried to list a bunch of possible suspects. It can't be Molly Pummel because why would Molly want to frame her crush, I crossed her name out. 

"I know who the murderer is..." Tom says, I then turned around and faced him

"Who?" I asked

"It's quite obvious actually..." he says "Oscar Bell," 

"Bell? He might be a manipulative git, but I don't think he is the murderer," I tell Tom

"Think about it...He liked you...A lot. And I was just the better person that you chose. Wouldn't it be a great motive? That he would frame me and send me to Azkaban, so he could have you all to himself?" Tom states, honestly that did make sense, why didn't I think of that

"I promised Jangles that I wouldn't tell you this, but the murderer apparently was at the Lestrange Manor. Jangles didn't see his face, but he heard him," Tom says 

"What did the person say?" I asked

"He said he wanted to kill me," 

"Well that is not going to happen because we are going to find proof that he did it," I tell him, I grabbed my wand and started walking down the stairs

"Where are you going?" he asks chasing after me

"I'm going to find concrete proof in his room, and you should stay here out of sight," I tell him, I swished my wand in a spiral motion

"Uh, Y/N where did you go?" he asks

"Disillusionment Charm," I tell him "Blends into surroundings, almost like being invisible. I learned it when I was in the future Hogwarts,"

I then left Tom and started to walk towards the Slytherin common rooms. It was empty. Strange. I started to head up the stairs to the boy's dormitories.

"Alohomora," I whispered, the door to Oscar's and his roommate's room unlocked, I then locked it 

It was kind of messy and disgusting. I looked through drawers, beds, and desks. There was nothing to be found, then the door knob twisted open. I scurried to a corner of a room. I then see Oscar and his friend entering the room.

"Shit...Headmaster Dippet still hasn't told the students that Riddle was accused of murder?" Oscar says in a stressful tone

"Give it some time, he ought to tell the students soon," his friend says, Oscar then paced around the room, he then paused, pulling a box under his bed

"The box contains evidence in it, we have to destroy it," Oscar says gripping it tightly "We'll destroy it tonight, we'll sneak out of the castle and burn it. It would get rid of the items used to kill those students"

So Tom was right...Oscar did kill those students.

"That sounds like a plan, why don't you tell the others," his friend calmly says with a smile, Oscar then nods his head and leaves the room "Colloportus,"

The door then locked. There was something off. Oscar's friend then get's up.

"It is rude to listen to other people's conversation, L/N," he says and swishes his wand, he revealed me and broke through my charm, he then smiles "It's a pleasure to meet you,"

"Who are you...?" I said getting up cautiously

"Henry. Henry Evans," he says, my eyes widened when I heard his name...It couldn't be "You're probably wondering what I'm doing here?"

Henry Evans, Slytherin, was from my time. A year before my mission, he was announced dead for unknown circumstances. He was a year above me and was one of the most powerful wizards in the school. How come I've noticed him now?

"During my sixth year of Hogwarts, Headmaster Dumbledore requested something of me. He wanted me to go to the past and...well I think you know what he wanted me to do," he says smirking

"He asked you to kill Tom Riddle..." I said inhaling sharply

"Clever girl. When I failed to go back in time to kill Riddle, I kept restarting over and over again, until I was able to kill him...Except on my last one, the time turner broke. That meant I was stuck here and couldn't go back to the future..." he says walking slowly "Dumbledore probably said I was dead, didn't he? Do you know how painful it is to repeat in a loop? Reliving the same situation, over and over and over and over again?"

"Since I couldn't make any mistakes this time, I carefully thought of a plan, but there was nothing. And then I saw you at the Great Hall. There I see the Great Y/N L/N, standing in front of me, Oscar was sitting next to you all giddy. That was when I realized that Headmaster Dumbledore has also sent you on this quest. So I made a plan..." he continues "I would use you to soften up Riddle, let his guard down. Making Oscar jealous of him, and ending up giving him a plan,"

"So you're using Oscar and his friends as pawns to carry out all of your dirty work?" I asked

"Yes, having attachments are a bad thing...They make you weak...vulnerable...." he says smirking