Chapter 11: Living in a Nightmare: Part 1

Start from the beginning

His thrusters flared, and he burst forward, tearing through the shearing winds of ice and snow with ease. This just doesn't add up. The last thing I remember is falling asleep... could this be a dream? Sincline wondered. He'd had dreams (mostly nightmares/memories) before, but none of them had felt as real as this. There's something else going on here... but what?

A glint of metal caught his eye, and he jackknifed, halting midair. Using his momentum, he flipped, cut the thrusters, and dropped to the ground, landing in a crouch atop a snowy crest overlooking a gorge split by a wide set of train tracks.

 Using his momentum, he flipped, cut the thrusters, and dropped to the ground, landing in a crouch atop a snowy crest overlooking a gorge split by a wide set of train tracks

Before him was a strange sign of strange twisting arrows forming a strange, intricate pattern resembling a strange snowflake. "What's this?" he wondered, tilting his head and dispersing his armor. This is kinda strange. Each arrow-shaped petal had a different instruction on it and pointed in a random direction. It's telling me to do a bunch of things at once... how is anyone supposed to know what to do? he wondered. Now that I think about it, those glyphs... He frowned, glancing toward the strange sky above. There's something familiar about them....

There was a flash of light, and a thunderous explosion shook the mountain as a pillar of ice and snow erupted from farther down the path, causing Sincline to stumble. What the—?! He whirled, and his eyes widened. What the Hell was that?!

Team RWBY Dorm

"Sincline, come on, wake up," Ruby whined, gently shaking the mech-turned-human's shoulder. "It's almost time for class." Part of her felt bad for disturbing him (it was rather nice watching him sleep without nightmares, though she'd never admit it), but they had to get going.

"What's up with Sincline?" Yang asked curiously as she slipped on her dress shirt, her lilac eyes reflecting the sunlight. "Did he catch a cold?"

"He might just be tired," Blake proposed and glanced toward where Weiss was sleeping peacefully on the bunk beneath Sincline. Wait a minute....

"Okay, that's just creepy," Yang said as she came to the same realization Blake did. Weiss never slept in. Ever. "There's definitely something wrong with her."

Frowning, Ruby poked her partner's shoulder. "Weiss? Come on, you're—" She froze. "Guys? I can't feel her Aura!" she said. Ruby pushed her shoulder. Weiss rolled over... and everyone's eyes widened. Creeping across her shoulders, a series of black, thorn-like shadows crawled over her skin. Her skin, which was usually pale, was almost white.

"Check Sincline!" Blake said urgently, and Yang quickly rolled Sincline over and tore off his upper shirt (she was not going to admit she had been looking forward to that), revealing similar markings on his back.

Sincline shivered, and his Aura flickered, flame-like energy creeping from the edges of his eyes. A bead of sweat slowly trekked down his neck as the marks on his back glowed ever so slightly, fragments of purple energy dispersing into mist.