Chapter 8: The Avatar

Start from the beginning

"Show no fear!" The small boy threw a spear at the boy in war paint. The boy got up and once again charged Zuko. Like it was second nature, Zuko snatched the spear from his hands, snapped it in half, and poked the boy in the head three times with the blunt end. The boy fell over and at my feet. I looked down at him, and he looked up at me in embarrassment. I mouthed a 'sorry', but I don't think the boy appreciated it much.

Suddenly, I could see a glint in the air behind Zuko's head. Before I could utter a word, the boy's previous weapon came soaring back and knocked Zuko straight in the helmet. The helmet twisted around Zuko's head and I smiled slightly, glad this village had one win to remember.

Zuko, furious, pulls out two fire daggers.

"Don't, Prince Zuko! You'll seriously injure him!" I pleaded, but before I could get a response, a boy came gliding through on a penguin. The boy used the momentum from the penguin to knock Zuko off his feet. Zuko slammed into the ground with a thud. The villagers were elated at his arrival and began to cheer at his win over Zuko.

He wore a monk's outfit, Orange and yellow. It was uncanny to the Air Nomads' clothing. Then it clicked. A small bit of the boy's sash was ripped. I desperately searched for the piece of cloth in my coat pocket. Pulling it out, I held it up to the boy as he spoke to the boy and girl. It was definitely the same material and colour, but it was slightly faded. I gasped.

The avatar.

Zuko waved his hand, and all the soldiers moved out to circle the Avatar. I stood awkwardly behind Zuko, not sure of my place in this. The monk swept the ground with his staff, sending a flurry at the circle of soldiers. He then slammed it down, sending an even bigger rush at Zuko and me, unfortunately. I covered my face before Zuko could react to the snow. Zuko was drenched in the white powder. He melted it off, the vapour rising in steam.

"Looking for me?" The Monk said cockily.

It finally clicked for Zuko. He deadpanned, shocked.

"You're the Airbender? You're the Avatar!?" Zuko questioned in shock.

The boy and girl the monk was previously talking to seemed just as shocked as Zuko. The monk resumed his fighting stance. Zuko sneered, and they began to circle each other. I stepped back, not wanting to be caught in the crossfire. "I've spent years preparing for this encounter. Training, meditating. You're just a child!" He spat out, aggravated.

"Well, you're just a teenager," the avatar responded nonchalantly. I giggled at the remark, and Zuko shot me a menacing glare. I shut up real quick.

They began to fight, ghasts of winds and flames being shot at each other from across the circle. I couldn't keep track, and a wave of flames came particularly close to the villagers and I. They screamed out, frightened. The Avatar noticed it, and a guilty look was struck on his face. He suddenly stopped.

"If I go with you, will you promise to leave everyone alone?" the monk asked solemnly. The avatar we were dealing with had a sense of protection. After a moment, Zuko nodded in agreement. I looked at the monk in guilt, sorry for what he had to do. We began to bring him on the ship as his friends protested.

"No, Aang! Don't do this!" The girl pleaded.

"Don't worry, Katara. It'll be okay. Take care of Appa for me until I get back." Aang said, trying to reassure the girl. He was shoved in the doorway, with no more room for discussion. We led him up the ramp, and the village looked up at us, pain in their eyes. Aang weakly smiled back down at them, attempting to console them.

The ramp was pulled back up, and the ship began to move. I looked out at the scene. The village pulled away from us, and I could no longer see the sadness etched on their faces. I gripped the rail until my knuckles turned white.

Suddenly, a pain shot through my head. I clutched my head, everything around me reeling. Blurry images flashed by me inside my head; I could see water, snow, and ice. I clutched onto the railing, waiting for the pain and images to subdue. Suddenly, one image in my mind became very clear. It was the Avatar. He was saying something, but I couldn't make it out. He outstretched his hand and then vanished.

The pain fizzled out, and I gasped for air. I got up from my crouching position in awe. What just happened? I rubbed my head, the throbbing still lingering. I looked behind me to see the Avatar held by both arms between fire nation soldiers. They were discussing where to detain him.

But what shocked me the most was that the avatar was looking at me. He stared at me in confusion. I carefully let go of the rail and walked near him. I was heading to the quarters when I heard him call my name.

"Yua?" Aang said in a questioning manner. My real name.

I stopped in my tracks.

"What did you just say?" I asked, astonished.

"I said- oomph!" He was cut off by Zuko taking the Avatar's staff from his hands. I hadn't noticed Zuko and Iroh approaching, but I was preoccupied with much more pressing matters. The soldiers bound Aang's hands.

"This staff will make an excellent gift for my father. I suppose you wouldn't know of fathers being raised by monks. Take the Avatar to the prison hold, and take this to my quarters." Zuko said proudly, passing the staff to Iroh. Iroh then passed it to another soldier.

They ushered him away.